Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Year's Eve thoughts

Another year,come and gone.  For some reason I have this apprehension about 2007.  Not really a fear but a mixture of expectation and longing, a faint knowing that it is going to be a year for the books. 

I was 17 going on 18 when my father was dyeing of lung cancer.  During those months he got back to the Bible so to speak.  Ofcoure I didn't hardly pay attention to him and that stuff then, ramblings of a crazy man facing his death.   But now I look back and wish I could of understood him better and been more engaging in those conversations.  I have no doubt now that when he said he wasn't afraid to die because he knew where he was going, it was because he knew he was going to be with The Lord.

In those passing conversations he would talk about The End Times, The Mark Of The Beast, Revelations, Big Government, and the Return Of The Lord.  I remember when he said the min they start requiring you to take a mark on your right hand and you can't buy and sell with out it, he would be the first one on City Hall's steps Preaching, if he was still around.  I had no idea what he was talking about and wrote him off as having too much pain meds.  But now I know.. I understand.. I see it every day and now others think of me as the nut.. ironic huh.

He knew, he felt it down deep the world was close, very close to seeing it's end, to seeing an awful destruction and that there was going to be a great tribulation coming.. a seven year period.  Looking back now I know where he got that idea, and on some level I agree with that train of thought, but a bit different.  In 1994 he thought the year 2000 would be a start and if not then, then around 2007.  I remember him now saying, keep your eyes open and you will see it coming, start preparing yourself.

Maybe this is why I have a feeling about 2007?  I don't feel the end of the world will come this year but certainly we can see things set in motion for it's start.  Read Matthew 24 &25 and apply it to this time period.. it will blow your sock off.

Dispite all that I am looking forward to this coming year.  Doing more with my house.  Traveling more.  Plan to read the Bible more and draw closer to God.  Do more with my children and my husband.  I am turning 30 this year and that country song "My next 30yrs" keeps playing threw my head.  I want ever more to make this year count. I want to do something worthy and markable with my life.  I want to reach out to others more and love more.

What are your thoughts on this coming year?

I am kinda tripping today.  I remember at the beginning of the week when President Ford and The Godfather Of Soul died, saying to myself.. death comes in 3's.  Who's going to be next???  And now the Butcher Of Baghdad is finally meeting his maker!!  I knew when they were talking about it Friday night that a video or something would surface on the net.  I am not sure if I want to watch it or look for it.  It is enough for me to know he is dead, I don't need to see the execution on TV to believe it.  I think that is one of those slippery slopes and the next thing we know every Friday night we are watching executions on Prime Time... and one of those Christians beheading could be me.. gulp..

 

4 comments:

  1. You think you are strange!  Ha.  I was telling Bubba that Sadam gave me a glimpse at how the anitchrist could be a beast yet people would say...he gives us peace.  The Christians could worship, work and live freely in Iraq while he ruled.  People weren't killed by car bombs and places of worship weren't blown up.....but he was ruthless and cruel!  Yet, some who were not directly effected by his madness yearn for that "stability" they had.  All we can do is go into the New Year with our eyes wide open and our lives firmly commited to God's hand.  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm i have had the same thoughts but god has said to trust him oh yeh and athour thing you only thrity this year im thrity 2 how sad im older than you oh well now im depressed for 2007 ahaah jokes god is good

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got shivers as I read this Mary- I've been feeling the same- as you can tell when you come visit me.  I think God is definately telling us things- things that others who aren't believers think we're crazy.  I'm sorry you lost your Dad at such a young age- but I'm glad for where he is now, and I'm glad he 'planted' a few thoughts in you- even though you didn't realize it at the time. I pray you and your family have a happy and hopefilled New Year!  love Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that worrying about the end of the world in any way, shape or form is helpful for any Christian (or anyone else, for that matter).

    Christ says that the end will come at an unexpected hour. We can read tea leaves and scope New Testament passages, and read the writings of Christian mystics, but in the end we're no closer to figuring out just when it all falls apart.

    The safe bet is to be the watchful servant and be ready for the master's unexpected return :).

    Charley
    http://journals.aol.com/CDittric77/Courage

    ReplyDelete