Thursday, May 27, 2004

Sun Screen Nazi & Basement Diver

The thing about being away so long is that some much goes on and it builds up and it is almost imposible to write all that you want too, even with the increased charter limit lol. So I will just start with what happen today and see where that leads us.

Josh had a rain day again today for work.  So instead of sitting around the house he wanted to do something with me and the girls while Zane and Annie was at school.  It seems like we do so much with and for the older ones that the little ones get jipted sometimes.  With talks of my Girl Scout Troop's last meeting to be a day trip to the Zoo next month Josh thought it would be a great idea to take Lilly and Sophia there today.  Our Zoo here in Saint Louis has free admission and you can find parking in Forest Park with out having to pay the $8 they want at the Zoo. It was a walk but we made it.  We did fork over the $8 for the double stroller rental, but it was worth it so that we wouldnt have to carry the girls around and they had shade.  We gave them thier own map of the zoo.  Lilly kept it well and was frantic when ever it was dropped.  She looked and looked at it and pretended she was in a Dorra Cartoon with singing about the Map and how do we get there...  We saw alot.  Pengins, Monkeys, Lions, Bears, all kinds of birds and reptiles, but I think the fav part of the trip to the zoo was when we sat to get a snack.  We got a big drink to share and popcorn for the girls.  Birds was all around and the girls gigled with glee as they flew close to them.  I threw out a few kernals of corn and to the delight of Sophia the birds pecked at them and took it away. Ofcourse you know more than half of that bag of popcorn got fed to the birds lol.  Man am I out of shape!  All that walking and the hot sun wore me out.  We all took a great nap when we got home.  But now I feel the sting of the red sholders.  I negleted putting on sunscreen cuz Josh anoiyed me with his comment before we left that I was the Sunscreen Nazi.

I am very fair skinned and all my life my mom has ingrained into me the need to always wear sunscreen to prevent burning and my dad always feared sun cancer, he would say that would be one of the worst ways to go.  So you can imagin how I am during the summers and taking the extra few min. to put some on myself and the kids.  Josh is the impatient type and the oh a little sun wont hurt kind of guy.  He has an olive ton skin type and tans very nicely.  When we met in Vegas he was very very tan and I half teased him that he may be not all white in his family tree.  So every year we have this strugle, he calls me fearful and I call him stupid. Every camping trip I insist everyone put some on and often am ignored, yet I come home with no burn and others come home reaching for the aloe lotion. As I was putting some sunscreen on the girls face he called me the SunScreen Nazi and that made me so mad I forgot myself.  So now my shoulders and cheeks are very red and sting, a feeling I have not had in many years cuz I am usaly very protective of my creamy white skin.  Josh can see now why I insist that SunScreen is important.

Another thing I am frantic about is when there is storms and the tornado sirens go off.  My young years was spent in Wis. and again, my parents ingrained in me that if you hear those sirens to take it serously and get thy self to a basement.  I am huanted by pics you see on tv of the devastaion of tornados.

We had a big storm come threw our area tonight and the sirens came on.  Right away I tell the kids to get to the basment. Josh lolly gags around and puts on the news and looks out side and tells me and the kids to calm down. Now granted I have passed on my fear of tornados on to the kids and they wigg out each time the sirens come on now too, but really is that such a bad thing?!  Even if one doesnt hit or touch down, one day one may and it wont be a false alarm.  I would rather be safe in the basment then galking at the sky and swept away or worse a flying object hit me.  Josh thinks I just over react and I am silly and scoulds me for making the kids think as I do.  Again I call it being safe and him being foolish.

2 comments:

  1. You know Mary, I can relate to everything you said about the sunscreen and the tornado sirens.  I am very fair also, and burn after just a few minutes in the sun.  I love being in the sun, but I always wear sunscreen, applying lots to the nose!  Nothing worse than having a red nose lolol.  When I was little back in the 60's, there was no such thing as sunscreen, and I used to get burnt to a crisp.  The damage will show up years and years later.  So keep that sunscreen on you and your girls! I'm in the state right above yours, and we get tornado warnings here too.  Like you, we head to the basement right away cause you just never know.  We just went through some pretty bad flooding here a few days ago.  Your trip to the zoo sounds like so much fun.  The closest zoo from here is either Des Moines or Minneapolis, both a few hours away.  ~lila~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Lila sure are giving me a rush of memories growing up in Indiana!  I almost feel like I've gone home between the two of you!  When I heard the sirens I rushed to the basement myself.  My dad was bad about getting down immediately. He would stand outside and watch a bit.  MEN! (yeah, gotta love them though)


    Gawd, I was going to say something else and I got interrupted, now I can't remember a thing!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete