Wednesday, May 12, 2004

A Word about Food Banks and Friendships

My friend Amy's icebox went out last week and all the perishable food they had went bad.  They need to replace the icebox and all the food in it.  Amy is a very sweet friend and she has blessed me more than I can say over the course of our new friendship.  She has helped me and my family so much and it is almost embarassing, I try and wrack my brain to find ways to show her how much I do aprishate all she has done for us but she would hear nothing of it, that is what friends are for she would say and say I thought we was better freinds than that tit for tat stuff.  God has been defintatly working on my pride issues and it has been a rare thing to have a friend such as Amy.  I could write all day about this dear friend : ) let me just say one day she will have many great rewards in Heaven.  As I was saying her icebox went out and she was in a tight spot (not that she would admit that to me!) so she went to the wealfair office with her case, looking for some help with the food situation.  They refered her to a food bank and she happly went.  Incodently this food bank is the one my church closly works with and donates to monthly.(I think if she would of asked our church for help she would of been surprised for I am sure they would of  helped her out too)  She calls me and tells me of how they loaded her car up,back seat, trunk and some in the front seat.  They had given her soooo much!  More than they needed and she didn't want to offend me but she wanted to bring over to us what she knew we would need.  I have learned in the past the hard lession of not saying no to blessings and letting my pride get in the way of what God wants to do and honestly we needed the food. When she came over her car's back seat was loaded with paperbags of can goods and meants and toletries we surely did need.  I asked her did she keep any for her self! OH YES she said, they had given her so much.

What Amy had given us was Bread, Hamburger, a Whole Chicken, fixings for making pies, caned veggies,can fruit, fixings for making chillie, fixings for making spagettie, soup, tunna, boxed dinners,TP, Ladies Shaving cream, Razors, Lotion, and sooo much more.  So much so that I will have to re-donate some of the can goods because we have no room for it all. She didn't just provide for our physical needs too, she also gave us love and reminded me of God's Love for us.

I share this all withyou because I well up with tears with what the Lord has done and pray for him to bless each person who donates to food banks.  I write to show you that people who go to food banks are real people, maybe even your next door neighbor or family members. There are many people in need and often the food banks are bare untill the fall when ppl think that is the time of sharring and giving for Thanksgiving and Chirstmass.  I encourage all of you, even if you dont go to a church, donate to a food bank once a month.  Set aside some of what you have, or go on a special shopping trip for idems you know you would use yourself.  You will bless many in this way and you too will be blessed.  I know it always feels better to give to those who are in need and right now we happen to be the ones in need but I know God will get us threw and it will be my turn to give.  That is true Religion.

James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.

James 2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be [ye] warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what [doth it] profit?

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are back being able to type your entries,  although I did enjoy your audio entries, but like you said there is only 3 min to say what you have to say.  That was a wonderful thing what your friend did.  Sometimes a person has to do what they must to feed the family.  On occasion I have went to our local food bank as the $$ only goes so far with paying bills since I'm a single parent.  But when ever I was able I would always pick up a few xtra things at the store and drop them off at the food bank.  In response to your previous entry about religious warfare...what they did to Mr Berg is a henious act done by monsters (demons).  Its would be so easy to just blame the whole Islam religion (if thats what you want to call it) but these barbarions are using Islam for there own agenda.  They say it was in response to the prison scandle, but thats nothing but a lie.  They did the same thing to Danny Pearl 2 yrs ago, and these are the same beasts who were responsible for 9-11.  They don't need an excuse to kill Americans, they do it because we are Americans.  I think the only thing that will stop  them is for God himself to come down here and take control over that whole region.  And God help us all if they ever get their hands on a nuke or chemical weapons.  9-11 will pale in comparision.  ~lila~

    ReplyDelete