Wednesday, April 14, 2004

Last night we had scouts.  Josh took Zane to his and I had G.S. with Annie.  I don't know if any one else is following the story about the GirlScouts having ties or association with Planned Parenthood but I have been.  I tried getting some answers the other day from my Troop Cordinator, ya know the lady who has been in scouts forever and is suposed to know everything.  I asked her if she had been following it at all and what was our local council's affilation with them.  She said this was the first she had heard of it, that she had no clue.  She says she knows that GS are very stricked about officaly not being apart of any political party.  I said I know but this was a differnt issue. I could not believe she doesnt know about this at all, certainly she has a tv or radio or the net! lol  My friend Amy called me from her car cuz Bill O'Riley was talking about it. Here is a link I got off of his site with a news artical on it.  I printed it out for the other moms to read and briefly told them that I was unable to get any answers from our own council. This was not a formal talk, I just passed it to them before I went outside to play a game with the girls.  I think they just browsed it, cuz they left it sitting on the couch and didnt take it home with them. 

I wanted to tell you about the games we played.  First one is called Do as I say,Not as I do.  Kinda Like Simon Says.  They are to do what you say, like touch thier noise but you try and throw them off by touching your ears.  If they do as you do, they are out and last one standing wins. Sounds easy, but these girls are smart! lol I was running out of things to tell them to do! And we also did a get to know you better game where I passed around a roll of toilet paper and told the girls take as much as you need.  Then after they tore off some and I had the roll I told them for each square of TP they have to tell us one thing about themselves. So if you tore off alot, you had to tell alot about yourself, but if you tore off alittle you didnt have to tell so much.  I thought it was a nice thing to do since we have a new girl.

After the meeting I turned on the tube and ofcourse Bush was on every channel.  I prefered to have it on PBS cuz they dont have as much comentary when those kind of things are on.  I hate the reporters play by play and comentary, trying to tell you what you should think, like they have to decode it for you, you dont have a brain, or we dont want you to think for yourself, we will tell you how you should interpit his statements.  I caught most of it, had kids yelling and jumping around and making dinner, but I got the jist.  I saw how the reports only concern was to try and back him into a statment blaming himself for 911 and him rewording the questions and only choosing some parts of it to answer. Typical polition speak.  I am all for having a 911 commision and seeking answers on how this could be prevented and strenthing from it, but I am not into the blame game. No admistration is perfect and hind sight is ofcourse 20/20. Could more of been done by both Bush and the Clinton admistration?Sure looking back and knowing what we know know now you can say YES. I think the best statment out of the whole speach last night was the one who is resposible for 911 is Bin Ladin. We was not war minded, but the enemy was.  And my take on the war in Iraq is that it is better to fight the terrorists over there, keep them focused on our troops over there and fight them there, than to have to fight and battle them over here on home soil.  To give in now over there would be weak, and that is what they are counting on, that we dont have the stomic for fighting and when the casulties start piling up we will waiver.  Do I like seeing on the news that our troops are being attacked and many are ding? NO, it grives me greatly, I have family and friends in the military and I think of what if it was them and how I would feel. I have a great respect for our soliers and thier families. But that is why we have troops, to defend us and protect us.  As the saying goes Freedom isnt free.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard anything about the Girls Scouts and Planned Parenthood. Must have had my head in the sand. What are the "evils of planned parenthood"? I would think that the Girl Scouts would not want to be associated with any group. They should be able to stand alone and not be the subject of backdoor problems because they have an association with an organization that is in favor or out of favor in the community at a certain time. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts organizations are a great way for our young to learn some basics of human interaction. I don't thing they should be "colored" by the philosophies of any organization. I know that you are giving the kids in your care a good well rounds look at life. My Regards, Bill.

    ReplyDelete