Sunday, June 6, 2004

Venting about my very frustrationg Day!

You all know that   and like to think of myself as having it together on the basic knowlage and maybe a bit above novice. LOL at least in my own household and with my own puter, I am the expert. Also you have got to know that I love taking pictures and have become a.  I was elated last October when I was playing around in my Accessories Folder and found I had WindowsMovieMaker in my arsenal of programs.  I quickly learned how to take my photos and put them together in creative ways set to music and subtitles and other cool things you can do with that program.  I had the feeling that could be something I would Love to do as a living.  When I got the invitation for a friend's son grauation open house, I was compelled to make one for them to play for the party.  At church they just got a new "toy", a projection monitor and it would of been perfect to show off my creation.  My friends thought it would be too much work and asked are you sure more than twice. I assured them it would be NO problem, my gift to them.  So they gave me all the pics and I got them all scanned into the puter, over 200 pictures! But Wow, what an awsome son they have and I felt like I got to know him so well.  This boy was National Honnor Society, Junior and Senior Class President and also Prom King to boot! He didnt only have brains but he is also a little Hottie lol. I admit I grew a bit jelous, for no way was I even in that kind of preppy class when I was in school, but it is not like he is snobby, he is the nicest kid you can come accross, probly why he was so popular. I really wanted to do it right and honor him and his parents, also I wanted to show off too, I admit it. I threw myself into the project for over two weeks. Tweeking and molding and making it almost close to perfect.  Some nights I would sit at the puter for over 3 hours on it with out even batting an eyelash. The end result was 15 min. of a life threw picuters and music with witty captions and meaningful scriptures.  I was perty much done with it at the beginning of last week but put off adding the ending credits till Sat. night and saving and converting it into a file that would play on windows media player.  I had been assured by the brother who runs the puter and projection screenat church that if it would play on windows media player it would be able to play on the projection screen.  I had even taken a sample movie to church to make sure it would, but didnt get a chance to get it up because you know how ppl are so busy after church and it is hard to get the "puter" guy's attention.  He just said ya it will work, I will show you later how to put it up there.  So yesterday after the picknic I came home to tweek the project into perfection and was ready to save it to disk, I knew I was cutting it close cuz the party was Sunday afternoon but I had all confidance that it was just a matter of saving it and waaaallaaa.  I think it was about 11:30 or so when I was finished and then that is where my nightmare started.

In WindowsMovieMaker you have the project, and it's not finished until you save it to your computer.  Then it converts to the kind of file for playing on a media player.  Before you do that it will only play in the program it was created on. duh that is simple and I knew that.  I finished, clicked the save wizard and then it started to save, then it seemed like it had froze.  Then you know when it says how many min it will take to save and counts down and you have progress bar, well instead of the number of min. getting smaller it grew and got bigger and bigger. 100 min. to 5,000 min.  What The!! So I canceled and tried again.  Same thing.  So I figured I will leave it run and save while I watched a movie.  I watched They call her Osoma, great movie by the way and I will have to post on it some time.  I came back to the puter and no progress.  Then it comes up with the alert that I didnt have engh virtual free memory space, it was creating some and I would have to wait and some access to other programs may be deniyed at that time. UGH!  I need more memory all ready? I have not done that much yet for my memory to be gone, I havnt even gotten into keeping my dig movies from my camera on the puter yet.  Granted this was a longer movie than i had made before, all of the other what 4 movies was just 3 or 4 min long. But We have only had this puter 2 yrs.  The most I do with it is save pics from my camera, and do the internet.  I rarely have to create and save documents and I dont have much as far as games is concerned on it.  So then I tried to save it to disk and convert it that way.  We got a cdrw for christmass the year before last and I have only used Roxy, the program it came with to create cds but in the movie program it had a button to save to cd, so I tried that to no avail.  I thought, ok, maybe cuz I dont have the update for Roxy, so I go online to see how much that would be and thinking maybe I would download that.  $75 for the update, they must be on crack!! I will say, I know God had a reason for this and while I was online I did get to chat with some of my friends from that new chat room I wrote about in my preivious entry, a great thing happen and I will make that my next post.  So by what 3:30- 4 a.m. that is where I was. It accured to me that church has the same OS as I do and they will probly have WindowsMovieMaker too.  So I saved the project to disk and all the pic folders too with hopes that I could just go in on church's puter and convet it there. About this time Josh gets up, scoulds me for still being at it, and he tries to see if he could "help".  Remeber I am the expert here lol and he leaves the puter stuff to me, so why he thought he would know more than me is a good question. He tries for an hour and comes to the same conclusion I did.

Yesterday at the picnic I asked the brother who does the projection screen if he could show me how to do it for the party after church.  He said sure but he would rather show me before church than afterwards.  So we make an extra effort to get to church before Worship Practice and before service.  A friend snickered at us and asked,"what did you guys set your clock back?" we are notoris for coming just as Worship starts.  The computer guy at church is also on the Worship team and also makes the bullitons for Sundays.  He gets there just as practice starts, and practice runs till 10 min before service starts.  There was nooo time to get him aside and ask him to show me the projector stuff and for me to explain what was going on with my project.  So after church he shows me the programs that i needed to open and how to turn the projector on from the puter.  Then he wants to put the file I have into the program for the projector and when he opens it up he gets perty frustrated with me.  YOU CANT use this kind of file. (duh) And I try and explain what all I was dealing with and what I wanted to do.  He is rushed and his wife peeps in reminding them that they have to get going. I told him, dont worry about it and go, it I will figure it out, at least I know how to turn it on and how to get a file into it.  But I get the feeling that he thinks I know nothing of puters. So I look for windowsmoviemaker on the puter and YESSS they do have it.  So I open up my file from disk into it, but ugh, since I only had saved the pics and not the music it wasnt going to work.  It  needed the org scorce and bla bla bla computer talk.  Ok so I thought if anything I could have just the pics play and go and save and finish the project to the hard drive.  Then I turn on the projector and run the program for it and go to put the file into it. Another problem. It wouldnt read the file, even though I know windows media player would play it and reconize it as I was told that was what kind of file i had to make it.  So that idea was chucked.  The party started at 2:30 and it was only 1:00.  So I took each pic and draged them to the projection program.  But it would only hold 100 pics, so I had to go back and be selective of what pics to put in.  This took awhile.  So at 3:00 I go to play it and it wouldnt just loop.  I had to manualy click each pic so it would play and come up on the screen. UGH.  But better than nothing.  I told my friends they HAVE to come to my house some time and see what I had org made for them, cuz it was much better than this.  The thanked me and told me not to worry about it and they was very happy with what i did at the party.  My pastor saw me in the sound booth and came over and talked with me.  He said it would be a good thing if I also learned the computer stuff for church so that more than one person knows how to run it and that a women would probly pay more attentoin to som details lol.  You know I am all for that and I love to serve in anyway possible.  So perhaps that is why I had to go threw all that.  Am I mad that everyone didnt get to see what I had org created? Not so much mad but disapointed, but I think I am getting over it.  So much for me having a carrer at making movies for friends and faimly.

 

3 comments:

  1. Wow Mary, thats a big project.  I'm sure in must of been fustrating after you invested so many hours into.  But at least they were able to see the "short form" of it.  You should be proud of your self for doing all you did, I'd say you a great job!  I just got a digital camera, I love it.  I have pics on my journal now!  ~lila~

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes many many years to figure out most all there is to know about a computer.  Glad you got to show the pics at least though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pic! Congrats to him! God bless, Beckie

    ReplyDelete