Thursday, June 3, 2004

When Josh met Mary

Reading this entry inspired me to write about my younger years and when I met my husband.  Thanks Angela.

It is true and I am not even that old yet, that when you look back to the time when you met your mate it brings a big smile to your face and you relive the moments.

My family had moved yet again.  My dad was in Vegas and my mom and us kids was with my Grandma in Wis waiting for him to get it all set up for us to come live back there.  A family tragity had happen (longer story for another post), the short of it was both my parents had quite thier jobs as mangers at Vegas Gas Stations and thus we was broke and thus the sepertion.  It is not a secret that I hated having to move back to Wis when I was 15 and that I loved Vegas. So when my dad finaly called for us to come "home" I was soo happy, untill I found out what side of Vegas he moved us to.  Green Valley, might as well been the other side of the World cuz all my friends lived closer to the mountain side near Summerlin.  There is no doubt in my mind that this was on purpose to keep me away from bad influances (HA).  Green Valley was a newier more upper class community at the time, somewhere I had thought i would have a hard time fitting in. Little did my parents know I had known ppl on that side of town and made friends quickly before I started back at school.  Summer and her crew of mistfits.  I had to change my preppy look to grunge/hippy, but hey that is what teens do,reinvent themselves.  We moved there in Jan, right after my 16 th birthday.  I was upset cuz I was days away from my drivers test in Wis when the call home came.

I remember that first day at the bus stop vividly.  I had called Summer and Stevie and asked advice to make sure the outfit I had on was up to snuff and met Stevie at her apartment early. She asured me I looked cool.  When we got to the bus stop there was already a group of teens gathering. Summer and Stevie did the intros to who was who. I was very shy but tried to play it off.  I hate new kid syndrome. I am sure the whole spectrum of my soon to be new friends was there but the only one I remember ofcourse was Josh.  He had a look of familar to him, like I said before if I had beleived such things I would say we had met in a past life.  There was a instant connection there for the both of us.  But at this time I was into the bad boys and was not intrested in him, there was some one already I was presueing, some one I knew before I had moved.  After a couple of weeks Summer came to my bedroom window sooo drunk you wouldn't believe it.  How we always seemed to manage getting smoke and drink is beyonde me.  She was laughing and giggling and said, Mary I know some one who likes you.  Ofcourse I had to know who, thoughts raced at the possiblities of what older guy who ran in our circles it may be. She wispers in my ear Josh, good old Josh. Oh?!  We both are laughing at this point and I said OH NO, he is just too sweet for me.  Josh was the nice guy of the group. He took care of everyone kinda and I think he was used more than he likes to admit not cuz ppl loved him but cuz he was a pleaser.  This wasn't the great romance I had in mind. YET, if he likes me, there must be some good in me he sees right?  I decided to make special effort to attract him, with only plans to deny him, just to be a flirt.  I paid extra attention to my make up and hair each morning knowing he would be at the bus stop.  At lunch I made sure to make an apperance at Smoker's Cornner where the gang hung out to smoke our butts off campus, I made sure to sit by him but be shy and not really say much to him but got a lite or an extra cig. After a few days of this he started to talk with me more at lunch and on the bus. FYI he was very shy also.  I still have it some where with my notes from school, but one day he hannded me an envolpe at lunch just as it was time to get back to class.  It was soo classic! A note asking me out and with pics of him from the year before. Ohhhh no he didnt!! I thought.  I had to torcher the boy some.  I wrote him back and left it in his locker.  Thanks for the pics but if you want to ask me out, be a man and do it in Person. Upto this point most of my boyfriends have been older, no good guys, but they deffintaly didnt ask me out in notes. How Jr High is that!  The next few weeks we talked more at lunch and he would walk me back to campus.  We had to cut accross the football field and if memory serves me correct there was a crew out painting there (ironic since now Josh is a painter) and on thier radio was playing "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" by AirSupply.  I made the comment to him that I liked that song but didnt know who sang it.  He said oh his mom has that cd, come over some time listion to it.  I flashed him my big smile.  I think it was the next day we ditched school at his apartment.  I am not sure all who was there, Harry Mike was there I remember that forsure, but he was so high it was as if he wasnt. Mostly all we did was sit on the couch and watch tv.  Josh slowly started to make his move, first holding my hand and then leaning in for a kiss.  We made out on the couch all day. : )  Before it was time for me to go he Offically asked ME out! At first I was going to play it off cuz I wasnt real sure I wanted to and said I would think about it, but then he gave me another kiss and that sealed the deal and I said yes.  I remember later that night I was at Summer's apartment smoking out and I told her that I was going out with Josh now. She said Why?!! Do you feel sorry for him?  My jaw dropped and I knew from that point on I had to decied if I was going to be serious about him or if this was going to be a game. I told her NO Way, I like him.  Needless to say after that Summer and I was not very of friends, but I dont think I ever told Josh what she had said.

I could write my own book on our little courtship and about our first time together and our on and off again break ups but you know how teens are and that was perrty much what it was reg teenager stuff, untill I became preggers.  Then it was growing up time.  That will have to be another entry too.  The Jist of it is, My family moved back to Wis and after he finished HS he moved back there to be with me and our soon to be born son.  We made a life together, moved out apart from my family and got married.  And here we are 4 kids, 3 moves, seveal jobs and several cars and many ups and downs later.  We have spent our whole adult life together and are more in love now then any 16yrd could ever imagin being.

5 comments:

  1. Aww! How sweet! Hope you have many more years! God bless, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary...I have missed lookimng in on your life. It's funny because, I think that the way you describe Josh, almost make me wish I married him....NOT!  Seriously, my heart is always moved by the way that love, "conquers all."  ANd, it is interesting that even before I sat down to look at your latest entry, I began a series of entries that I call, "A child of the 70's"  For better or worse, you may want to peek at them, them move this site to your links. I too mention my love for the music of the day, and specifically, the Commodores, Bread, Eagles, Chicago.  I think, with any luck at all, we will know more about each other in the next few weeks, than ever before. For now, I really wish that Josh and I could get to know one another.  I have a scanner, maybe with some help, you can walk me thru with how to post some pix's.  Funny thing is, my hair is probably longer than his in the one pix of you together. I think we may be kindred spirits, Josh and I. I could use a friend to talk to right now....pass it on.  God bless you my dear sisiter.  Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, the pictures were great and I wished that I could've seen MORE!  What a wonderful story and I'm glad to hear your love is still strong.  I read Angela's entry and I've been thinking of doing an entry about Sonny and myself meeting. :)  Thank you for sharing your heartwarming story. :)

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh mary you are just BEAUTIFUL...WOW! I LOVED ALL THESE PICTURES SO SO SO SWEET

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pics of you and hubby together. That was neat. I may gather some pics and do that sometime. Hope you dont mind me stealing your entry idea LOL About mistakes Hubby had a vasectomy and for 13 years we lived with that. Then we had it reversed 3 years ago. I ache for children so badly. I feel every year I murdered our children as much as when in the old testiment God told them not to spill their seed on the ground. I feel we did that for 13 years. We just dumped his seed in his body. I monthly regret that with such pain and agony it has at times been near unbearable. Lori

    ReplyDelete