Monday, March 14, 2005

who can put your pieces back together again?

I can't wait to get the tape from Sunday's service.  The whole time I was thinking... I know just the right person to send this too, gosssssh I wish they still posted on their website!  Even still the message was good for me to hear also and always be reminded that there are times and seasons in our lives that God puts us in.  I have heard sermons on the potter and the clay before so that was not new but Pastor Richie did a wonderful service.  I guess also the fact that I have missed two Sunday's in a row made my soul so thirty for fellowship and hearing of the Word.  Since I have missed a lot lately I feel out of the loop, things going on and a lot of changes.  The merging of two churches is going faster than expected.  And that is a good thing.  I won't go into all that because that was not the intent of my post.

Something that Richie said that has been rattling around in my brain I thought note worthy to post.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall. Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.  All the King's horses and all the King's men could not put Humpty back together again.  But.. The KING can.

An old familiar child's nursery rhyme takes on a new meaning.

How often when we fall and have cracks and broken pieces do we let man try and fix us or try and take it all on upon ourselves to fix our problems and our hurts?  And how far does that get us, not very far in my experience. Sure councilors and psychologists and even friends can give good advice but when our hurts are so deep our broken pieces are so many, our soul so longing and  hurt, the only one who can truly do the work, if we let him, is THE KING himself. 

Pastor suggested that Humpty Dumpty may of been pushed off that wall on purpose, for a purpose.  He concluded that may be it was THE KING himself who pushed him. *GASP* Initially that is a horrible thought!!!  WHY WOULD HE DO THAT to poor Humpty or to me or you for that matter!  Who hasn't cried out "WHY GOD! WHY ME! WHY THIS!" or "HOW COULD YOU LET THIS HAPPEN TO ME! HOW COULD YOU ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN TO ME OR TO THIS PERON!"

This is where scripture comes in, where we can see how God works and his character.  Taking the example of the potter and the clay.  Scripture tells us God is the potter and we are his clay, that he molds us and perfects us for his purpose, for his plan, to form us into what he chooses.  I am not some one who works with clay but I remember from art class how it works and also from some of my reading.  At first clay is not easy to work with, you have to slap it around some to make it plyable, get the air bubbles out, the imperfections out, to soften it. God does that with us, working our perfections out, showing us where we need him to work in our lives.  I am told when working with clay on the spinning wheel that the artist never takes his hand off the clay as he forms it, even when he is correcting something or dipping a hand in water, always at least one hand on the work.  Same way God always has his hand on us and on our life.  How some seasons of our life we don't feel his hand but it is always there, work and molding.  For me that is a very comforting thought.

I have come to be able to trust God no matter what the situation may look like because I know he is in the middle of it all, he has a plan and a purpose, He IS IN CONTROL.  I know he THE KING can put my broken pieces back together again.  I know he is molding and sculpting me for HIS purpose and the end result is going to be beautiful.  A lessen learned in trust or other truths he is revealing to me, always leading me and drawing me closer to him.

If you are feeling like poor Humpty Dumpty today or a piece of clay that is being slapped around take comfort that THE KING is going to put you back together and you ARE being molded and perfected threw these trials and hurts you are facing.

Some good scripture references:

2 Corinthians 4:8 [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; 9 Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed;10 Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body.

Isaiah 64:8 But now, O LORD, thou [art] our father; we [are] the clay, and thou our potter; and we all [are] the work of thy hand.

Jeremiah 18:3 Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. 4 And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make [it]. 5 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay [is] in the potter's hand, so [are] ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

1 comment:

  1. I Heard this many years ago. It made sense. BUT now I always say yeah he can but will he is he. It seems like we say things to encourage things are okay they are in Gods hands then the next some are saying Oh things are getting worse so God can come back. Sometimes the answer is no like we tell our kids and htat is not always what we want to hear. Other times you wonder why is bad allowed to go on a profit off his people. Like in my journal entry this is so decietful what is happening. He may still open the eyes of the wicked in this and they still may not prevail and it may bring them down to level yet. But still it is so frustrating. It seems alot of j landers are frustrated adn quitting. I really hate that. I miss them and I think they do not realize how much even in thier frustration they meant to us. Im sorry I could not communicate that well enough. Lori

    ReplyDelete