Monday, December 13, 2004

Repostings from last Dec About Santa vs Jesus also post about Christmas Lights

The following is from last Dec posts. Remember? When we had such a restriction on charter limits? The one was broken up into two posts, so instead of just linking you there I thought I would repost it. 

SANTA VS JESUS:

Had about a 2 hour drive yesterday to go and pick up hubby so I caught part of radio show that brought up this question, how do we celebrate this season and do Christians let the secular influence them and how they teach their children on this season.  Talking about pagan idols and Santa being one of them and comparing Jesus and Santa.  Trying to get the transcript to this show, cuz I know I will not do it justice here but I will post my thoughts. 
How many among you who are Christians taught your children to believe in Santa Clause and what happen later when they found out it was a myth?  Did they question you if you made up Jesus also?  I have heard this before and think how horrible the parents feel. The child devasted because they have been lied to thinking, If he was a lie, what else have they lied to me about?   I have also heard of the parents who flat out tell their kids that Santa is made up for fun by those who choose not to celebrate Christmas to honor Jesus's birth.  As mean as that sounds, those kids grew up well adjusted and was taught to honor the true spirit of Christmas.
On the surface Santa seems harmless and I confess I used to use it as a way to get the kids to stay in line.  "Be good or you won't get any thing from Santa" or have them write to him so I could get thier list of what they want.  I am coming to the realization of what this has taught them.
Be good and you will get presents, Be bad and you will get coal.  No unconditional Love there.  Take your requests to Santa instead of to the source, Jesus,who will bless you because he loves you unconditionally.  Be greedy, ask for yourself, me me me, my my my.  How is that honoring our Savior?  It is his birth, how can you give a gift to him?  He says Do unto the least of these and you will have done unto me.  I am also supporting a lie, a myth and that is something I do not want my children to see me doing, lying, for I do not want them to lie to me or anyone else. And I want them to share my faith, and not think that too is a lie I made up to keep them in line.  We have taken the t out of Christmas,  Christ Mas.  the t is the cross, and with out that you are not giving Honor for what he has done for all the world.  Died so that we may be forgiven and have a relationship with God.
There will be mixed reactions to this I am sure, the OH I have never taught my kids about Santa, and will applauded me and then there will be those who say, Oh you have opened this up to me and then there will be those who will be angry and think how wrong and mean I am.  That is fine we are all allowed to choose our opinion.  But for me and my house we shall serve the Lord and Honor him always.
My older two children have been told already in the past years that Santa is really Mom and Dad and they are just fine.  But I have not done that with my 3yrd and 2yrd.  And I am seeing the contrast.  My 3yrd thinks Christmas is just about her and presents from Santa.  She can't wait till it snows cuz she thinks that is when he will come.  We watched that old cartoon about Santa and how he became Santa.  One of the songs was If we all was Like Santa what a wonderful world this would be.  I say, If we all was more like Jesus what a wonderful world this would be.

CHRISTMAS LIGHTS:   Christmas just isn't Christmas with out them. We have to have them on our trees and for some on the outside of the house.  They make the season so pretty and I for one enjoy riding around to look at them each year. They make us merry and all that jazz.  I am sure you have noticed that on the packages they come in the little made in China tag and I am revolted by that actually. Every thing is made there, why is so much of our junk made over in China, what about American jobs and all that.  Something even sadder to think about.  Those lights put together just so we can have a Merry Christmas, are made in force labor camps in China.  And we are not talking about hard core criminals here, we are talking about women, men and children who don't tow the State of China's line and do such horrible crimes as Talk about Jesus or talk agents the communist regime. Over a Million people are in these prisons. They produce most of the GNP of China.  Have you ever taken one of those little lights apart? Ever try putting them back together in a rush?  Not so easy.  Think about having to do that for 20 hours a day. Think about if you didn't meet the quota for the day the beating you would get, the food that would be with held. Think about living in a cell smaller then most of our bedrooms with 40 other prisoners.  Hard to believe but it is very true.    So next time you light up your tree or house, say a little prayer for those who made those lights for you to enjoy with their blood and tears.  Say a little prayer for the persecuted church who would not reject Christ and choose to bear their cross for him in such prison camps. Think about that the next time you light your tree and the next time you want to whine about how hard you have it.

1 comment:

  1. You know  I saw a poly resin statue of Santa bowing down at a fireplace and praying to a cross hanging on it. I had seen the santa at the manger scene praying in stores but had not seen that one before. I was looking for a snowman gift for a gift exchange at a craft party Im going to tomrrow. I got something I like just in case I end up wtih it back !!!!!!! LOL aways a wise choice. THen atleast I know there will be one thing in the gift snagg. Its so funny becuase you can take anyones gift you wish but you may get yours taken. It sure can get to be a greedy game for sure. I m kind of nervouse its my friend down the road and she is inviting two of her church friends and I dont know them. OH for JOY!!!!!!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete