Wednesday, February 4, 2004

Motives behind our actions

 Click to play song (GloryToTheKing preformed by GraceFamilyFellowship's WorshipTeam)    This post is inspired by two journals I read today Angela's about Compassion and Tami's abut The User and The Used and also some situations going on in my personal life.  Funny how God uses it all to tie it together.

I am blessed when ever I can do for others, in small ways or big ways and I am also blessed when others have helped me out in big ways and small ways. I know of times when I couldn't pay our rent or our bills and was in great need and God made a way for us and blessed us threw other peoples gifts. And I know of times when I was more deeply blessed not by reciving but by being able to give.  I wonder what are some people's motives behind thier actions.  Do they do things for others only because there will be a return on it, to be rewarded in some way or another? Does that describe me or you? It is a question to think on.

I know what God has said in his Word.  That when some one asks then to give and to give more than what was asked for.  I know that he also advises not to loan to people but to just give as a gift and not seek a return on it, for a greater reward awaits in heaven. What is done in secret will be rewared openly in public.  He also says what ever you do give unto the Lord should be a free will offering, what he has purposed in your heart and to give with Joy.

Would you give to those in need if asked and not seek your own glory for it, with out braging, OH Look what I did, Arn't I such a good person, write it off on my taxes?  To give in secret and have no one know what you did, to leave it between you and God?  I admit that is a hard one sometimes, because our flesh wants the glory, we want to say Look what I did, we want to be praised by others, to have some return on what we have done. I know there is a greater blessing in giving than recieving, just knowing you could do what you could to help and followed what was put on your heart to do.

5 comments:

  1. the song may take a bit of time for buffering, but worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started reading your journal, I wish I had found it sooner! It makes me feel good to read what you write! :-) *lila*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for mentioning me! You're such a sweetheart. I just love the beatitudes! My favorite gospel is Mathew. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no better feeling to me then giving. I feel funny taking though. But there were times when my son was sick and I had no money for Christmas gifts or food for the holidays and the church and friends came through for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've never understood the whole charity write off on taxes anyway. i mean doesn't that defeat the purpose of giving if you're just going to get it back anyway. i mean, then really you didn't give it to begin with, right? i don't know. but yeah, i always feel good when i can help someone else out, especially if they have helped me. it always feels good to return the favor. but i don't expect anyone to return the favor to me. i do it cuz i want to.

    ReplyDelete