Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Bitting off more than I can read????

Last Sat. I finally made it over to the Library to return my books.  Only a week and a day late! gurrr late fees...  I went myself this time.. I was JUST going to return and not get any new books, well, maybe get on a waiting list or two lol.  I dropped all my books (and it was ALOT) and music and movies at the counter and smiled sweetly to the Librarian who actually had to stop yacking to her friend and do some work.  I wondered over to the New Release List to see the date for King's Dark Tower release. The Librarian about made me jump a mile high when she tapped my shoulder. She handed me back the Carmen Soundtrack saying it was missing the 3rd CD.  That I should just renew it and bring it back with the Third CD that I apparently left at home.  OK.. I did this without thinking.  But the more I think about it and LOOK for that CD.. I don't think I org. checked it out with the 3CD, I know I only listened to 2 in the set and I can NOT find any other CD anywhere in my house that goes to it ... unless my kid-os ran off with it and put it in the abyss of no return.. but really I think I am going to be stuck paying for this CD and since it is a set that will be $50!!!! Shoot!!!  I think I may call the Library and ask for sure if when I checked it out the first time if there really was a 3rd CD but if I didn't bother to check the first time I am sure they didn't either.  This will surely piss off Josh to no end if we end up buying the thing.

I figured since I was at the Library I might as well take a look around since I was by myself and no kids to chase this time, I might actually enjoy myself.  I asked the reference desk (I have learned they are the goto ppl) if I could get on the reserve list for a book that hasn't come out yet.  This Librarian is nice and gives me big smiles and said ofcourse and hand her my card.  I am on the List now for The Dark Tower that comes out TODAY by the way and I also got on for the Di Vinci Code that ofcourse is always out but she assured me it wouldn't be too much of a wait since they have tons of copies of it.

I wondered over to the Fiction section and ofcourse I could spend all day over there.  I had no particular book in mind and I think that was my problem, too many choices.  Books are like brain candy to me and I can so easily over do it.  I was looking over at Dan Brown to see what else he has out but nope, they are all out of anything by him.  Then I get the bright idea that I would read some C.S. Lewis, can almost never go wrong with him.  I HIGHLY recommend the Screw Tape Letters! But alas they only had two of his books in (that is a shock! what kind of Mickey Mouse Library is this??) and it is only book 1 and 3 of a space fantasy he had written.  Not too appealing to me, if they had book 2 also in, then maybe. I wonder some more looking and found it interesting that they have labeled the spines of books that are Christian Fiction with a little cross sticker.. humm.. don't know if I like that or not.. I could see why, make it easier for those to find who are interested in that genre but I think that may turn someone off too who may have picked it up but since it had that LABEL they would put it back down. I know I am sensitive sometimes and think too much lol.

Then I stumbled across this book called The Jewish War by Tova Reich, set back I believe in the time of the 7 day war, about a sect of settlers in Israel,, it is pure fiction I believe but it looked interesting.  I will give a review when I am done, whenever that may be.  Then I stumbled on to this set of books by Francine Rivers. Short books about women of the Bible who changed eternity. Tamar, Rahab,Ruth, Bathsheba and Mary.  They only had two of the 5 in.  I picked up Unspoken, about Bathsheba.  They had Mary in but I wanted to read about Bathsheba, I know the O.T. Story about her and King David but I thought it would be interesting to see it from her POV. I should have stopped there but couldn't help myself.

After I was done over in the fiction I wondered over to the nonfiction section.  Gobs of stuff there I could have taken home but I wanted something specifically that would enrich me and my faith and my relationships with others.  I wanted to learn more about Judaism and the festas and festivals. I do have a few Jewish and Messianic Jewish friends and am always picking their brains, so instead of bugging them I thought I would read a book and then maybe have dialogue with those friends.  I think it is necessary to understand about the Covenant God had established with his chosen ppl, and I love reading the Old Testament.  I think before we can truly understand the New Testament we have to know what came before it, because after all Jesus was Jewish, those are his ppl, who he came from and came to be Messiah too (and the whole world) and it is all connected.  I know just from my laymen study if I didn't understand about the blood sacrifices in the Temple for the covering of sins I wouldn't have connected why Jesus shed blood on the cross could cover mine and the significance of the renting of the vail in the temple when he died on the cross.  Also it is very hard I think to get anything out of the book of Revelations if you don't understand the principals God had set down and the symbolism of certain things he gives answers to in the Old Testament or as Jewish ppl prefer to refer to it as The Hebrew Bible.  I know when I was learning about the Shabua Principle at church a light when off and things clicked better in my understanding of why Seven is very significant to God.  LOL I could do many entries on this subject but I am getting side tracked here.  There was many books on this subject to choose from but the one that caught my eye was How Firm A Foundation, A Gift of Jewish Wisdom for Christians and Jews by Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein.  I have gotten into it some already and it is very interesting but has this tone I am not sure I agree with but I will try and finish it out as best I can.  I will do a review on that one also when I get threw it. 

I don't know, I guess I am a child of modern interfaith and interracial times and am shocked that there was or is this animosity between Jews and Christians.  I have always believed that if you bless the Jews, you will be blessed and if you curse them you will be cursed.  I don't think because someone doesn't believe as I do or even if they are not the same shade of skin I am, that they are not worthy of my friendship or that I should love them any less.  My mouth gawks when I hear ppl agenst the movie The Passion because it makes it look as if the Jews are responsible for Jesus' death, or that ppl hate them because they rejected HIM.  I may be a bit nieve I guess.  And yes that is all stuff I should write on when I finish that book lol because I am getting off topic again, something I see I do a lot.  What a poor writer I must be!

So as you can see I have tons of reading to do, my books are due Oct 2nd.  I think Josh had said that the Library called the other day saying one of my reserved books was in!  I hope it is NOT King because I saw an interview on the Today Show with him talking about his new book and it is 800 pages!!!!!! My Mom had called my yesterday morning and gave me the heads up that he was going to be on T.V. and when I heard him say 800 I had to call Mom back and see if she caught that.  Mom and I don't have all that much in common (well maybe more than I like to admit) but we both share a LOVE affair with Mr. Stephen King, and we could talk for hours about it.  BTW she sounds really good, my mother, her voice is much stronger from even a month ago and she said she is about ready to go back to work half days!

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted you to know I was here, hon. I'm not doing very well today so ..well, just pray for me, alright. that is the best medicine there is> Thanks. *Barb*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW you sure had your self a ball at the library. Ours stinketh. I am always makeing them order books on an interlibrary loan for me and I hate that cuase the time is very limited and not renewable. I just think well our library needs to get updateed. They are finally open on sundays but they need ot also update thier stuff. They say they are getting more traffic btu that is people reading stuff on thenet cuase they dont have it. I cant wait to hear your book reviews. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love libraries too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are a reading maniac. I hate librians and borrowing stuff. I bet you are right and you never had that cd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh a Stephen King fan! Have you read the Talisman and the Black House? Its also written with author Peter Straub. I am in the middle of the Black House...it is wonderful. Read the Talisman first if you haven't read these though. Let me know how the Dark Tower series is...I have not read them yet...

    ReplyDelete