Friday, September 24, 2004

Book Review: Unspoken (Bathsheba) by Francine Rivers

LOVED IT!!!  How is it that God knew this was just the book I needed to read??? Because he is God that is how!  He knows everything.

Even those who are not Bible literate or spiritual minded will love this book.  Most have heard the story of the Beloved King who had a wondering eye and the sins he committed agenst God and his country for this women he had lusted for and eventually came to love. Ofcourse I recommend you read the Bible's account of this story in 2Samuel Chapter 11.

In the book this story is told from Bathsheba's POV.  I have related to her more than I would like to admit.  For I too have been an adulator in thought and in deed.  I have made men in the past an idol and worshiped them in stead of God.  Much like how Bathsheba worshiped David instead of God. How she loved him in her heart instead of her husband. 

What this book shows and the Bible, is how what is done in secret will come to light and that trying to cover sin with lies or more sins only makes matters worse. How easy it is to step into sin and to act on our heart's desires when we are not focused on God. It also shows how repentance brings forgiveness and an eased conscious.  The Love and Mercy and Blessings God gives those with a broken and contrite heart are over flowing.  This book is described as "Historical Fiction" and I learned a lot about the life and times of David and Bathsheba. This book also helped me see this Bible story in a new light and brought the charters to life for me.  I remember reading it before in the Bible and thinking how STUPID David was, when he had everything yet he choose to take what didn't belong to him.  I also knew King David wrote the Psalms (songs and prayers to God) but this book helped me see how those times in his life brought about that wonderful book.  I loved how this author incorporated the Psalms into these charters prayers and life.

I suppose I read in the Bible before but it exscaped my memory that Bathsheba was the mother to Solomon who is now known as the most Wise and Richest King in history.  This is the linage that Christ Comes from!  This book also shows the contrast in parenting skills of those who raise up Godly men and those mothers who raise up sons to seek power.  In the Bible it tells of howDavid's first two sons, the hiers to his throne had become untrustworthy and on separate occasions tried to take power.  But because Solomon was trustworthy and had a heart for God he was promised the kingdom.  What a blessing to go from adulator to mother to the King and decedent of the KING OF KINGS!

I would put the whole forward message from this book in here but it would be way too long.. You must read it yourself.  But I will put a few quotes that got my attention from this book and I hope you can glean from their wisdom too.

Chapter 1 page 2. "Better to be the only wife of a poor man than one woman among many in a king's harem."

Chapter 4 page 111 How was it possible for two people to know and love the Law and yet sin so abominably?

Chapter 5 page 114 She lived in constant fear, for she had no possessions of her own, no money to buy sacrifices.  All she had to offer God was a contrite heart and the desire to do right for the rest of her life.

Chapter 5 page 147 "Maybe it's only those who who've made such chaos of their lives who can understand the heights and depths of God's mercy."

Chapter 6 page 152 "God loves you because you repented every time you realized you'd sinned.  You grieved.  You tried to do right.  God knows you are only a man, my love"

"Why did God do it? Of all the men in Israel, why did God choose me to be king?"

"Because you're the only man who would ask that question"

Chapter 7 page 173  Oh, Lord, only You can save us from ourselves.  Come, Lord, come and save us. Come and dwell among us.  Walk with us again as You did in the Garden of Eden.  Speak with us face-to-face as You did with Moses.  Take us up to live with You as You did with Enoch!  Change our sinful hearts.

Chapter 7 page 175  I know they will remember my sins, Lord, but when they look upon my life, let them see what You did for an unworthy woman.  Let them see the hope born from despair.  If they must recount my sins, let them count Your blessings more so.  You protected me.  You raised me up.  You gave me sons.  Let my name be unspoken, Lord, for what am I that anyone should remember me?  But, oh, Lord God of Israel, if they do remember me, let them open their mouths and sing praises for Your great mercy toward me.  Let them see Your infinite grace and Your boundless love. And let them.... be encouraged.

1 comment:

  1. I attended my first Bible Study class several years ago and was so totally blown away by things I did not know!  It was a Beth Moore study and I have not attended one since.  I need to.  Anyway, have you seen the movie with Gregory Peck and Susan Hayward?  Very very good.

    ReplyDelete