Monday, September 27, 2004

Part 2.More of a faith building exerpance.. My niece's Kiddnaping

Sorry if I left you guys hanging like that.  This weekend got soooo busy and I also have been trying to find some good news links for this story with pics.  But since this story is a couple years old they are few and far between and the sites that do have them want you to buy a subscription to get into the archives.. any one have a media pass?? If I had thought of it I would have saved newspaper clippings and my son JUST taped over the tape my Mom hand giving me of the news clips with Marcy on.. gurr..On with my story..

If you read the previous entry you will know that I had one of those picture perfect holiday weekends with my family and my little sis and her children.  I did not want her to go home and I was fighting everything in me to not hide her tickets for her flight back.  I am going to tell this story from my point of view and then tell you what Marcy told me what really happen.

Josh and I was just getting into the house and bringing all the kids in from the car.  It was very cold out considering it was a winter in Saint Louis and the weather for the most part is mild.  We had a lovely dinner at his cousins house and then a nice drive down town to see all the lights.  It was just about Midnight.  Tommy my brother, who was living with us at the time, was at work and had called not 5 min after us getting all the kids coats off getting them into bed so we could play Santa.  Tommy demanded I put Josh on the phone, and that is out of the ordinary because they are not that close and Josh isn't one to idolly talk on the phone.  I insisted that Tommy tell me what he wanted, I was a tad annoyed but then I remembered that Marcy was traveling and we had been away all day so she had no way of letting us know if she got home.  Josh took the phone and listened intently and then told Tommy to calm down and that he will be there soon to pick him up and they will leave.  My stomach was churning, as I waited for Josh to hang up and tell me what was going on.  He made me sit down on the couch and as calmly as he could he said, "Jasmine has been kidnapped out of the bus station.  Marcy is with the police now and Tommy and I are going to go up to Chicago to be with her.  They haven't gotten hold of your Mom yet but Aunt Carol is going over there now".  I was stunned! What was that again?? HOW?!  It only took a few seconds for it to sink in because I knew instinctively it was true and that was what The Spirit had been trying to warn me about all yesterday and this morning before they left our house. I started SOBBING uncontrollably and crying out "I KNEW IT! WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO YOU GOD, YOU TRIED TO WARN ME!" I literally got on my knees and started to pray.. it was an instant response and there was no thought behind it.  "Forgive me Lord, forgive me for not listing to you and keeping them here. I just knew something was going to happen, I just knew it. Lord bring her back, bring her back to us. Keep her safe, protect Jasmine, keep her in your arms.  You KNOW where she is, bring her back to Marcy, pleaseeeeeeeee. Help us Lord!  Be with the police, convict this person's heart to return Jasmine, do whatever you need to do, bring her back Lord, bring her back...Lord You promised that anything we asked in your Name you would give to bring glory to the Father.. IN JESUS NAME BRING HER BACK" I was crying and shaking and then I JUST KNEW.. A total PEACE came over me, that is the only way I can explain it.  God told me he was in control and Jasmine would come home.  It wasn't audible or anything like that but I just KNEW it in my spirit and I was calmed.  I got up and wiped my eyes and told Josh, we don't have to worry, He was going to bring her back, he told me he would.  Josh just hugged me, trying to not dash my hope.  He ran around the house getting his bag and Tommy's packed.  I had to call someone, I could not sit on this.  I called my bestfriend and strong sister in Christ, Kathy.  It is policy with our church that no matter what hour of the night it is, if you need something do not hesitate to call on your family in Christ.  I told Kathy what I knew and asked her to please call those at the church to start praying.  She called back and told us to take their second car, knowing ours was a clunker and would not weather a trip to Chicago well.  Josh and I talked about what to tell our children, should I go ahead over to his parents for our Christmas Day celebration and all that.  Before he left he woke Zane up and told him in simple terms that he had to go help Aunt Marcy and he was not going to be home in the morning to open gifts with them and that Zane had to be a big helper to Mom.  Not something you want to tell any Second Grader.  Just before he left I gave him the film I had taken over the weekend hoping there would be some good shots they could use of Jasmine to get out there to the public.  I had read enough crime stories to know that the most recent pic helps the best. And off Josh went.

Understandably I could not sleep until I heard from Josh that they made it to Chicago and even then I was unable to speak with Marcy.  I told him to make sure she knew everyone was praying and that I KNEW Jasmine would be returned.  It was Christmas Day and I wanted to put the best face forward to my children.  I knew it was going to be allright and didn't want to ruin their Christmas.  We did the traditional Christmas Breakfast of cinnmon rolls and then the opening of the gifts from Santa and from Mom and dad.  I had a few pics left in my camera and I think I finished up the roll and put the camera aside somewhere.  There was Josh's gifts still under the tree and the kids asked when they could give daddy his.  I tried so hard not to break down and cry and just smiled and said when Daddy gets home he will open them. I had not had the t.v. on like most families we put on Christmas Music.  Then I got the kids all dressed and we left down to Josh's parents as planned.  They always go all out for the kids on Christmas. They knew Josh was not going to be there and what was going on.  We go there and settled in and the kids are going nuts over all the stuff that was under the tree and the smell of ham and other trimmings was yummy.. but it all seemed pale and color less to me.  I was worn out from no sleep and stress.  Josh's parents had cable and said they had JUST seen my sister on the WGN Chicago station and that she was making a public appeal for the return of Jasmine.  I made them flip threw all the channels for any other news with her on but there was nothing yet, the story was just breaking publicly.  I could see the looks in my in-laws faces, they didn't believe me when I said God told me he was going to bring my niece back safely. I spent most of the day over there and held up good but still nothing new from Chicago.  I did see the replay of my sister crying into the camera on t.v. asking, begging for the return of her baby.  I shuttered at what ppl was going to think how she sounded or would look, it was dijavo of those women who killed their babies and went on t.v. saying they had been kidnapped.  I wish I was the one who had gone up there to be with her but really Josh wasthe best choice, the more level headed one, and my own children needed me and some shelter of what was happening. Before it got dark I headed home and on a whim stopped over at Josh's aunt's house.  We had just seen them the night before but they always host a big open house with good food and I didn't want to be alone just yet.  The normalcy of the reg Christmas Celebrations helped keep my mind off of what was going on but I finally pulled Jan side and broke down and cried.  Ofcourse they had asked why Josh wasn't with me and I just said he had to go up to Chicago to help out my sis and they left it at that.  Then I broke after being there for almost an hour and cried and said all that was going on. Everyone was shocked and then those faces of doubt that Jasmine would not be found was everywhere.  Why could no one believe like I did!?  Because it was an all too common story and almost always turned out badly.  By the time I pulled into the parkinglot of our townhouse apartments it was just past 8.  I sat there for a min gulping for air. My eye wondered over and saw an SUV that didn't belong n my nighbor's parking spot.  I remember thinking who ever that was better move or they would get towed, our complex has a tight policy about assigned parking.  Then I started the process of unloading my four kids from my car and walking up to my door.  I looked back at that car and saw there was men in it and one with a note pad was getting out.  And for me that is when the media blitz had started on my house.  Without anyone close to me to help and be my guide I am sure I was like putty to the reports.  I was unsure what or what not to say but I thought the more exposure the better for my sister and my niece being found.  The first one I talked to was from the local fox station and I liked him the best, he seemed to be the nicest and most concerned.  I must have looked like I didn't have much concern because I was in all my Christmas attire, Santa hat and all and really I was worn out and had no words to exprese.The most I could say was SHE WAS JUST HERE IN MY ARMS but I knew the Lord was answering our prayers and she would be returned. He got the exclusive interview, the first to break it locally and I am sure he was pleased as punch when it aired at 9. It was not long after that the other stations started calling asking to line up an interview too.  I was freaked because when I had left that morning I left the house a mess from our gift opening and breakfast.  I called one of my HeadStart Mom's over to help me clean up and watch after the kids.  And she was more than happy to be there with me and help out.  I will say I had a good support team in place but I still wished for Josh to be there but he was my direct line to what was going on up there. Wed. Morning he called and asked if I had another film or pics of Jaz. The ones we had given didn't really turn out well to put on t.v.  I told him there was that roll in the camera and that I would try and get it developed and taken to the police.  I went up to Walgreens and ofcourse it was like a zoo.  I told the lady at the photo counter that I know there was a long wait but this was an emergency, and I didn't have to go into the story long before she said that yes she recognized me from the news and that she was praying too and that she would get them done first priority. It still took over an hour but that was fast considering it was the day after Christmas. I called the local police and told them the situation and even gave them the # of one of the detectives on the case and asked if they could meet me to give them the pics.  I lived in one of the smaller municipalities in St. Louis County and basically our station was shutdown for the holiday but I was assured I would be met.  Well, after waiting an hour I went home and called again.  Finally someone met me there and showed me in.  Then he about floored me when he started photo copying them!!  Are you kidding me?!  Don't you have e-mail? Can't you scan them?! The Barney Cop scratched his head and said he would take them over to the bigger station in the municipality next to ours.  I gave him the numbers and the e-mail addresses and asked him to please call me when he was done and return them.  This is why I to this day I don't have any pics of that Christmas! Josh did tell me they got them but had been running with a diff pic and the police felt it wasn't good to switch now, so all that was for nothing but it did make me feel helpful at the time.  I had a parade of reports in and out of my house.. It was the weariest thing but I wanted to help so bad.  I remember being asked how could I be so calm and still have hope, it had been more than 48 hours and the case wasstarting to get cold.  God must have gave me the words to speak that is all I can say.. I said isn't that what Christmas is all about, isn't that why he came, to give us HOPE! And then the next one I wanted to kick out of my house but I was polite when he asked if I thought Marcella had anything to do with this, if she wanted to harm Jasmine at all.  What is the matter with these ppl!! This is when I learned how the media really operated, they take a story and try and twist it and when it gets cold they find a new spin and sensationalize everything.  They are snakes in my book and that is why I have a distrust for anything I see on the 9'oclk News.  I had not gotten the full story myself of what had happen, just what I was being told from the reporters.  They asked why would she allow a stranger to hold her child and I knew everyone thought my sister was stupid, and I did a bit too.  I tried to explain how she was helped before at the airport and that she is a very trusting person and those girls can be difficult to handle alone, Greg was supposed to be there with her.  Ohhh that was another thing, the police basically had to threaten him to get down there and be with her.  He was freaking out himself and afraid but still he should have been with Marcy naturally and not have to be threatened.  The fox reporter was there when I was called and asked if I was going to make it to Wednight service at church, ofcourse I had to go, I needed to go.  The reporter asked if they could show up.. I was at a loss of what to say, I told him I didn't really care  but gave him my Pastor's number and told him to ask him first.  Really I didn't want any media there, I didn't want the service to be all about ME, I felt like it was an intrusion to others needs somehow. I half thought my Pastor would tell the report No but he didn't.  Kathy drove me up there and my other friends watched the kids for me.  I needed a break from them and needed some fellowship and able to focus.  I told Kathy what it had been like the last 2days with the media and she was shocked and I also told her about the PEACE I still had about Jasmine being returned, that it was all in God's timing and I was just waiting for it to happen.  I know she didn't mean it but she had that look, everyone did, that look of doubt but yet afraid of vocalizing it. I told God HE HAD to come threw now, after I had been telling everyone what he promised, it would look so bad if she wasn't found.  This was the test.. waiting on him and resting in that Peace that could only of came from HIM.  When everyone around you is saying nay but YOU know what has been spoken into your spirit is true, and standing on it.  Here I was wearing my faith on my sleeve, for the whole WORLD to see, I had made a big fuss about the reporters being generic and saying my faith in God, I told them they had to quote me right or not at all and say Jesus Christ! Thursday came and so did the FBI asking questions about Marcy and about the girls father Greg.  I told them I knew Marcy had nothing to do with it, she was the victim and that Greg was just a fool and not smart enough to plan something like this, he loved those girls too.  Ofcourse it was all routine and I don't blame the FBI for asking those questions. My step mother in law called, who I may add this part of the family was pretty much MIA threw all this, asked when Josh was coming home and hadn't he been away long enough and his place was with me and his family, hadn't he missed a lot of work now.  I am normally very polite but I went off on her a bit and said I don't care about us! We are fine and taken care of! It is Marcy we are worried about now and he will be up there as long as it takes! And I hung up on her.  I did talk to Josh and he had told me he was giving it one more day and then heading home, he really wasn't much of any help.  But I told him he was helping and being a big support to Marcy.  By then my Mom and her boyfriend was there and Aunts but I know it helped knowing she could depend on Josh.  I know how bad the media was for me, I can only imagine what it was like for her, the center of it all.  It had gone national because it happen over Christmas, normally these stories only go so far but even John Walls was talking about putting it on Most Wanted if she had not been found by Sat when they air.  The police and the FBI and the Media was working together beautifully, later a detective said this case went the way it should always go between the two agencies and the media but rarely happens.  Just before the sun set on Thursday I got a happy call from Tommy saying SHE HAS BEEN FOUND! That was all he knew and he clicked off.  I JUMPED UP AND DOWN SINGING HALLAYLUYA AND PRAISES. I thanked God over and over.  I had called over to Kathy's to tell the good news and also ask if her husband could come by because I was already getting calls and reporters would be showing up, I needed someone with me to handle them.  I missed Josh so much and that take charge guy thing husbands do.  Kathy's husband came over just as they all started gathering out side.  I told them I would address them all at one time and then go in to watch my sister on TV.  They all wanted to be with me as I was watching it but I said no, only the fox guy cuz he was so nice.  I thanked them all for getting the story out and told them how I was thankful to the Lord and also I was a bit disappointed in some who had started attacking my sister and her creditability.  Then I went in to watch for Marcy.  I let the fox guy in and he didn't shut the door all the way, so all the rest followed!  Without even asking! John was dumbfounded and didn't know what to do.  My living room is NOT all that big folks so it was very crowded in there.  I watched the national report with Marcy on it and the police and saying how and where Jasmine had been found in WV! West Virginia! How did she get all the way there!  And there had been an arrest made.  It took a day for Marcy to get custody back of Jaz.  The FBI had her taken to a hospital just to be safe and then she had to be flown to Chicago.

 reunion

For the Lord is Good!  He is a strong tower! My very present help in time of need!

I will do the next entry about what Marcy told me what happen at that bus station, since the media messed up telling that story and also a bit about the women who kidnapped Jasmine. Ya I know, I could write a book lol.

 

5 comments:

  1. Glad I did not have to wait alll weekend.Since i was camping I got to come and read it all together. WOW that is a bblessing of a story. How neat it all worked out for good. cant wait to hear the rest. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this alert!!?I had wanted to ask you about the kiddnapping, but I was afraid to bring back sad feelings.So thank you for shareing this with us.I am soooo glad she is safe.What a story she will have to tell one day!!!  I could cry just reading it, let alone living it!
    I have always tried to keep pictures on me of my kids in case they get lost- and I try to have a picture where they are not smiling, because most kids do not walk around smiling when they are lost, and they do look different when they are smiling- I like the tradition of c. rolls for Christmas breakfast.I think we will start that this year.Dr. Phil was talking about how important traditions are ,so i am working on making more with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank God little Jasmine was found.......I'll be back for part III, you just have to keep us in suspense don't you girl?!

    ~jerseygirl

    ReplyDelete