Thursday, September 23, 2004

I don't watch her anyways but this still sucks...

AOL News - Oprah's Car Winners Hit With Hefty Tax Bill

  Nothing in Life is for Free!!!   That sucks big time!  When Josh and I first heard of what Oparh did on her first show of the season I thought way cool for her but Josh reminded me it was not as if she gave the cars away herself, but got the car company to do it.  We both was under the impression that the taxes was part of the give away.  NOPE, only the local taxes and licencing fees.  Mr. IRS still demands his share, however unfair that may be.  So remember folks.. nothing is free, even a prize from Oprah.

8 comments:

  1. I never thought of that...but once again that great saying is true...nothing in life is free...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not afford the free car!! i would be so sad to have to give it back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised at how many people didn't know that.  .Leave it to the IRS to get theirs. *Barb*

    ReplyDelete
  4. It honestly never occurred to me!  And I have been wallowing in self pity, and kicking myself in the butt for not asking for one of those "free" cars!  Whew!  I would have had to give it back, too!  Total bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not fair...it was a gift not a prize she should pay the taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes, there's always taxes on prizes!  HGTV gives away a million dollar dream home every year........every winnner that has won it sold the house......just to pay the taxes!  you have to pay taxes on the value of the prize, so with the house it's taxes on a  million, then you have taxes on the property itself and taxes on the furnishings value......I always thought it was kind of sad to win such a great prize only to realize you can't keep it!  I say JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY!!! lol
    ~jerseygirl
    http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are kidding!!!!! I thought all the taxes were free.  This rots.  I wouldn't want the car if it were me because I wouldn't be able to afford it. -Krissy
    http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah I told Todd I just sell the car and pay the taxes and buy some other things we need worse. !!!!!! Lori

    ReplyDelete