Monday, January 10, 2005

20 Snap Shots

In Pat's witting Journal he has this thing called 20 snap shots .. it is a witting exercise he borrowed from another J~Lander.  Detail.. Details.. everyday details.  The idea is to be perceptive, and write 20 things down from your day that you noticed, to describe them.  You can see how this would be helpful thing to learn for a writer? : )  So I am going to give it a go and see what my brain comes up with.. I wasn't very perceptive today or yesterday or the day before but thinking I will try and combine yesterday and today but really you are supposed to write it down as you go.

1. The fresh fallen white virgin snow in my mother in laws yard.  The kind that is perfect for packing and making snow balls and snow men.

2. My mother in law doesn't have a shovel so when we pulled up she was using an old broom to clear her back side walk.

3. The big clock tower at City Hall rings on the hour loudly, one of the perks of living in a small town and walking distance to the main square.

4. Even when you wear clean socks, if your shoes are old and you take them off so you will not get dirt on new carpet there will still be a distinct smell of FEET in the air that everyone tries to ignore and not talk about.

5. The brown and white and black diamond shape pattern on the floor in my mother in law's kitchen, new and unscuffed

6. The magnet on the fridge in the shape of Texas with an attached small print calendar.

7. Worn dials on a white gas stove.

8. Spatulas and whisks of every size available in a flowery ceramic holder next to the stove.

9. Worn brown front door with a small diamond shape window with no curtains and a screen door with a large rip in it.

10.  Fresh mud prints that look to be from a kitten on our already dirty windshield of our van.

11. The Sunday evening traffic into Saint Louis has more over the road semi trucks than cars.

12. Brian the DirectTV installation man has rimmed glasses and blond short hair with too much moose.

13. Brian was dressed neat and tidy except for a rip in the knee of his baggy blue jeans. (i think he got that at my house installing the dish)

14. The sagging and dead tree in our living room still adorned with ordainments.

15. The big purple squiggle on my kitchen floor, smudged from being walked on. 

16 The small and sleek black receiver box for satellite on top of my DVD player in the living room.

17. The primary colors of buttons on the remote that has NO function but to be pretty.

18. Cobwebs behind my large desk as I pull it out to find out why my speakers to the computer are not working.

19. My brown clock radio on top of the tv in my room left unplugged back in by the insulation guy because he used up all the outlets.

20. The oranges we brought home being used as balls by the kids because they will not eat them because they have gone soft. ( I better put a stop to that before it gets messy)

3 comments:

  1. OH my my my. I dont know that I notice 20 things> I whiz by each day so fast. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great exercise...and interesting observations...you did good :)

    ~JerseyGirl
    http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 of these observations?  Wow.  I am one of THE least observant people on the planet.  I would have trouble coming up with 5, let alone 20.  Wonderful list though!  Shows you exactly how much you truly "see" in day to day life.

    P.S.  Yep, I'd get rid of those oranges, if I were you.  :)

    ReplyDelete