Saturday, January 22, 2005

Am I THAT easy to talk to??

Children bring interesting people into your life.  That was how I met Kathy, because Zane was in her daughter's class at Head Start. And If any of you have read my testimony you know how that relationship bloomed and was a big part in my receiving Christ as my Lord and Savior.

Again today I met some one new, because of my son befriending a classmate.  Well actually, Annie is also in the same class as the sister to this friend, so it is like a double whammy... Coincidence.. I DONT THINK SO.

Zane's friend from class has been calling for a few weeks now, trying to get Zane to play with him at his house or ours.  But the boy always seemed to call at inconvenient times and I admit I kinda brushed it off.  I have a thing about kids talking on the phone.. to me it seems like a teenager activity and we all know how I want to keep my babies babies but I am living in my own little world I guess lol We are very secluded since we don't live in a subdivision so my children don't have that many opportunities to play with kids out side of our group from scouts and church. I am glad he has found a friend to play with.  The poor Zane is surounded by girls and needs a boy to be a boy with.

Josh answered the phone when the boy called today and asked for Zane. He was over joyed that he finally got to talk on the phone and not two min. into the conversation he comes up to me and asks if he could go over to his house and play.  I remember being a kid.. and how I would ask friends over with out consulting my mom first so ofcourse I had to ask to speak to the mother before anything was decided. "Hi I am Mary, Zane's Mom.. lol What is your name" (it is always good to be on first name bases with your children's friend's mother)

She was nice and had no problem with Zane coming over to play, she said she could pick him up since they was heading out to go shopping real quick and we are on the way.  I know there are a list of questions you should ask before you just let your kid go over to new peoples homes.. like do you own a gun, if so is it locked up, and bla bla.. but my mind was blank and I really didn't feel any concern but I did get all the important numbers.. what did ppl do before cell phones?.  My main worry was my house is a MESS and they would be here in a matter of minuets.  I am in the middle of putting Christmas decorations away (yes I know..tisk tisk) and I don't want any one over till that is done..oh and all that laundry sitting on the couch and the big stack of dishes.  We all know I stress about my house when ppl come over lol.  So I met them outside before they had the chance to come to the door.  HOW BAD IS THAT? LOL!!!  It was buck cold out and I did not have my jacket on!!  This is when we realize that Annie is in the same class as the sister and asked if she could come too. Oh if you could of seen the boys faces!! TOO FUNNY!

It was decided that the kids would eat dinner over and I would call when I was ready for them to come home.  I called over to the my children's friends house around 7:30 to see if they was ready to come home. NO OFCOURSE NOT.. they was having fun.

This is when I would normally expect to end the conversation with the mom, after checking first that my kids were being good.  I didn't even have to ask.. she complimented me on how well behaved they are and so polite. LMBO She also cautioned me that if her kids did come over Not to expect them to be as good as my kids are. Um Ok.. I am used to that.. I get that a lot from other parents for some reason.  And I always say.. they are only like that in public, they are not that good at home. (ok that maybe a half truth.. my children are for the most part well behaved at home too, it is what we expect out them so that is what we get but I don't like to rub it in).

I was enjoying talking with this new person about our kids and school and ohh the boys are both in the Choir Club, they are singing the National Anthem for the local minor league hockey game tomorrow night. Before I know it is 8:00. Josh is starting to glance over at me and give me goofy looks.. oh no Mary has a new friend to yack with.  Josh also has this annoying habit of listening in on my phone conversations and interjecting his own comments and asking questions threw me to the person on the other end.  I don't mind that so much.. saves me time from explaining everything or repeating everything to him later lol but my friend Big Amy hates it when he does that and she always teases me that if I repeat our conversation to him with her on the phone she will hang up out of protest. LOL.

This new person is very easy to talk with, but still I am shy and it often takes me a few times upon talking and meeting some one new to really feel comfortable talking about the deep stuff. Not her.. basically I know her whole life story.. some things I will not repeat but I can tell this is a sad women, maybe a tad lonely, and she has many hurts but she is also working hard to become an RN and loves her children and her husband. (these are just first preceptions mind you) To be honest I am shocked she opened up and told me all that she had but I don't mind. It helped me understand the dynamics of her life and her family. Before I knew it was almost 9:00 and my cordless phone was beeping because the battery was about to die.

 I go to pick the kids up and am waiting and waiting for them to get it together.. Zane is hiding, he doesn't want to come home ( I think his new friend put him up to that) and mom is showing me around their house.  I loved her house if you ask my opinion, but she wants to move and can't wait till she is done with school and has a good RN job so they can get a better house.  I also got to meet her husband and he seems nice also. We are going to ride together to the hockey game since it will be just Zane and I going, they have a parking pass and that is good cuz I didn't plan on paying for parking.  Mom walks me out.. because she wanted to sneak a cig.. she had just started back up and her kids are giving her grief about it lol so ofcourse I couldn't let her stand out there alone and I had one with her and let the kids play for a few extra min.  Long story short it was just past 10 when we got home and they live two minuets away.

So as you can see.. I have a new friend and the older kids have playmates their age and in their class.  It is funny how I am the exact same age as their mom and we both had our kids at the same time and got married young.. too much in common.  There is NO doubt in my mind this family has been planted in my life for a reason. I just was not expecting it, that is all.  I feel like maybe I am Kathy this time and this mom is me or how I used to be, old me.. you know role reversal. I love and care about these ppl instantly ofcourse.  I will have to pray and ask God to guide each conversation and give me wisdom and discernment and also help me over come my shyness. Why can't I be as bold and confident and articulate in my offline life as I am with my online one?

1 comment:

  1. WOW you are starting a new friendship. I am ending one I think. Got a pretty hurtful letter yesterday. I think this is the last pain I can forgive. I have put up with alot to keep this friendship. Let lots roll I must be a fool becuase hurt me one shame on you hurt me twice shame on me. WELL this is about the 20th time. I just cant take anymore. For real even Tracy has asked why I WORK and WORK to keep this friendship. Well there must be a reason why you two are together. You have so much in common. I also wonder why I cant meet and have some of my J land friends right here close to me. I have met some wonderful people here why are they all so far away???? By the way I have a friend looking for Rock of ages by dolly parton. You dont happen to have that downloaded on your pc do you?????? I asked Kara to look on her music download service and she could not find it on two of them. I could not find it on limewire. So I thought you may have it. Lori

    ReplyDelete