Monday, January 10, 2005

The Long Good Bye..

We had a nice weekend over at Josh's Mom's place.  Josh and Zane helped her finish moving in and her apartment is all cleaned out and keys turned in.  It is funny how he will jump for his mom (cute really) and do what she asks ASAP but all the little things around our own home sits and sits.  FYI my keyboard drawer for the desk he made me has yet to be built. LOL  But I love seeing Josh with his mom and how they interact.  It is really sweet.  This is one of my in laws that I can actually not work at liking and loving.. but that maybe also because she is a 3 hour drive away.  I like the little house she is renting and she is excited because there is an extra room for when the kids and us come to visit.  Much bigger than the small apartment she was in.  About the only complaint is it is really old and seems like all the walls are off square so all her book selves look like they are leaning.  If you look at them crossed eyed it feels like you are in a fun house.

As they was finishing up the move I made dinner.  I had taken off all my rings because I made meat loaf, and you know how messy that can be.  Sophia insisted on helping me peal potatoes.  She got a Mrs Potato Head for Christmas this year so she was kinda horrified really.. she said I was killing the potatoes and was talking to them to comfort them.  Children are so funny.  I explained that the potatoes are all ready dead, that they died as soon as they came out of the ground where they lived, so I wasn't murdering them really.  And I told her that is what their purpose is, so we can live and be fed, so really they are happy about it, they are being used what they were created by God to do.  That helped her some, but she wanted to peel and that was a big mess when she decided to stab them and say DIE DIE.. yikes.  I don't know if I should laugh about that or be scared.

Cooking in another women's kitchen can be frustrating and a bit nerving when you consider this is the MOM that is really good at cooking and I am always being compared to.  I felt so stupid having to wait for them to come back to the house on one of their trips because I couldn't figure out how to turn on the gas stove.  I thought you had to wait to hear a click to know it was lit and I never did so I was afraid of gas killing us all LOL. We have an electric stove.. it has been a very long time since I have worked with gas.. and that is Josh's dream.. to have a gas one.  The meat loaf was finished before the potatoes so I thought just leaving it in the oven on warm would be ok.. but it got all crusty on the outside.  I thought it was ruined but Josh insisted he liked it that way.. (what ever) but the potatoes and peas was good lol even if Lilly wouldn't eat them because Josh mixed them together on her plate.  I tried to tell him all little kids are like that, they are funny about how food is on their plate and doesn't he remember that when he was little.  He boasted that he always ate his veggies and loves his peas mixed with his mashed potatoes and that Lilly is just being picky.

After dinner I did all the dishes and again.. weired because I didn't know where anything went. LOL  But I wanted his mom to relax after all the work they had done moving and rearranging.  I always wonder what the proper protocol is when you are a guest.  I would never want anyone to wash my dishes and rather they leave them for us to do but Josh seems to think when ever we are the guest it is our job to make sure there is no extra work.  And that is fine, I have no prob with that.

I must be sensitive this week but any movie we watched over there made me cry.  We watched the Wizard of Oz and I cried lol and we watched Spencer Mountain and I cried.  We watched that show Extreme Make Over Home Edition and I cried. LOL

 Spencer's Mountain - VHS, DVD

I really like this movie and will have to add it to my list of books to read.  Josh said he read it in the 8th grade and that is when he first learned how books and the movie made from books are not always the same.  My fav part was when Spencer got the new Preacher drunk and when no one went to his church because of it he black mailed everyone in town lol.  Sounds worse that it is but it was funny and a big tear jerker.  When they played the song In The Garden (as heard on my journal by Randy Travis, is that better Kara??) I lost it.  It was one of the songs played at my grandmother's funeral and one of her fav. songs.

I called this post the long good bye because that is what our leaving his mom's was like.  We said our good byes and hugs and kisses and got all loaded into the van.  Then I realized I forgot something and had to run back in.  Then Josh realized he forgot something and had to run back in.  After we got to the gas station I looked down at my hand and wanted to play with my bracelet and discovered I had left them.  I hardly take them off but since I cooked I did.  So we had to run back over so I could get them.  His mom didn't hear me knocking and had the house locked up tight lol and we had to call her on the cell to let me in.  MAN I would of gone nuts to have to wait and get my rings back.  I would of felt so naked.

Well the Direct TV is installed and that could be a cute post in of it's self but I will spare you and go and watch some of it.  The girls are watching The Wiggles for the first time.. WTH is up with those guys??? LOL

3 comments:

  1. lol jen recently had a "food thing" going on. her mother told her three old that beef was cow. and she was screaming, i was on the phone with her at the time. jen said mom thats why i just say beef. she kept on assuring jamie that was why God gave us cows, but nothing was working. it ended when jen said fine you don't have to eat it IF you don't want to. i couldn't help but laugh. sending blessings and love, jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man I had to turn this song off. I hate to tell you but though I love Randy Travis I cant stand to listen to two songs. ONE is in the garden and the other is it is well with my soul. It may have to do with the BAPTIST Churches or possibly the fact that my EX loved in the garden. He sang it sitting right next to me and I never have forgotten that during the month he was hitting it hot and heavy with that other woman. HE would sing I COME TO THE GARDEN ALONE!Bla blah blah crap! yeah right I was sitting there watching him act pious and then get up for offering and walk down the isle and usher and drive the bus after wards for bus kids and think YEAH right you come to the garden alright..YOu sick pathetic wife beating two timing double dealing mean mistreating ..Okay so that is a patty lovelace song but no wonder I like it. The guy in her video of that is haugty and a good old boy kind of guy. SO everytime I hear that song I think of me sitting there with Tracy six years old and toothless and a baby in my tummy and him saying he dont care if I loose it not two hours before he sits there acting like a hypocrite in church . I wondered all you people sitting here thinking he is such a cool cat and you have no idea!!!!!! DO YOU you just dont have any idea. He thinks he is so swave and cool. Yeah. OKAY I digress see waht that song does to me. !GRRRRRR I know the words are really kind of peaceful and beautiful and Todd loves it . I guess I should grow up and quit relating things LIke when the teacher forced me to eat breaded macaronie and I puked it all over her I cant eat that to this day.SO I seem to have a bad taste for this in my mouth. Isnt that sad that it has this affect on me. Pure sad! Sounds great the way Josh and his mom interacte. HEY maybe get her to come to your house and get her to ask Josh to fix stuff for you. LOL maybe he will do it them. Can you ask Sophia to come blind a few potatoes of mine. Seems like they are getting eyes really bad lately LOL Lori.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Wiggles.  Oh how silly that show is!  Wait until you see "Lazy Town" for the first time.  Then you will REALLY wonder what in the world is going on!!  LOL  

    I rarely watch tv, but I do allow my children to watch PBS, the Disney channel, Nickelodeon, and sometimes Cartoon Network.  So as a result, I am rather up to date with all the kiddies' shows.  Now if you ask me about a grown up show, I'll stare at you with a blank look on my face.  :)       ((((hugs))))    Anna

    ReplyDelete