Monday, August 2, 2004

A Date!!

When Josh got his check this week it had a flier enclosed announcing .  One of the guys from his work was turning 40 and everyone was invited for the party. I've met him before and he's a good guy and well liked by everyone. I told Josh it would be nice to go (not really thinking we would go) and he grunted in an agreement, ya uh hun.  And that was that, the flier was put aside, filed away in the heaping pile of papers on the desk or yes maybe even the trash, but I did note the location of said party and time (3:00 Eagles Hall or eh is that Club in Florissant?).  Later that night the subject came up again and Josh made the deal with me that if we could find a sitter we could go and maybe even to dinner afterward.  Well I wasn't too optimistic about finding one lol duh that's why we never go anywhere, cuz we cant find a sitter for all four kids, we have to break them up in pairs or have two sitter.  I remember a friend from church had offered to watch them with her teenage daughter some time for us, to just give her some notice.  So I called and got the voice mail and left a message.  Not really thinking or hoping for a call back.  After this I was talking on the phone with our friend Riley. Telling him of our hope or plans for maybe going with out the kids.  He chimes in that he could watch the kids.  I try not to giggle, but.. Riley is a 53 yrld blind man, and I never really considered him before as a baby-sitter.  I told him no, thanks, that is sweet, but I think my friend will watch them, she just hasn't called back yet.  Then he goes into this speech about how he watches his grand kids all the time and what don't I think he can do it?..  Anyways, I love him, not that I don't think he couldn't or that my kids wouldn't be in good care, I just never thought about it before.  We end the conversation on polite terms and I thought that was that for finding sitter, it wasn't going to happen.  Josh goes over to Rileys after work Friday, as he sometimes does since it's on the way home.  He calls and tells me, not asks but tells me, that Riley was going to come over Sunday after church and then we would bring him home Monday morning, and that he would watch the kids for us to go out. Umm OK then.  Sundaymoring as I am getting ready for church, I talk with a differnt friend of ours who is also friends with Riley, she called me. She said she heard about us trying to get hold of our other friend for baby-sitting and that Riley offered to do it. She suggested she could sit with the kids and Riley so I wouldn't worry. Ooh relief.  I really do have some good friends...

So after church and before our friends are due to arrive Josh and I are talking about where the party is and what time do they stop serving the free drinks.  Thanks to my handy-dandy dsl connection I popped online to see if I could find exact directions on this place since my file system isn't perfected and I cant find the flyer.  But UGH, I couldn't find a darn thing that resembled what I was looking for online!! Could it because I wasn't sure of the name but I should have been able to come up with something, the savvy WebSurfer that I am.  The my competative husband, who always has to be one up on the information situation, calls his dad, who's wife's father was an Eagles and is able to get the web address, boom like nothing.  LOL Following all this? All I have to go threw for just a few hours of time without the kids?

So I was scrambling to get the living room picked up before we had to go.  I wasn't prepared for a sighted baby-sitter.  There is only so much you HAVE to do to pass your house off as clean with a blind friend.  And just as I am doing the finishing touches they roll up in the drive way.  I hadn't even freshened up or anything and Josh is pushing me out the door.  Today we had very warm weather and I was dress in blue jeans and a polo shirt.  I had thought I was going to change before we left but Josh is ready to Go and to go like now!

As we are driving to the party we are talking and I ask if we should at least stop and get the birthday boy a card. Oh ya, that is least we can do since there will be free food and free drinks.  We stop at a grocery store and Josh goes right to the cards and I go right to the make up.  I just got eyeliner and mascara, the cheap ones.  Did a new thing, where you scan your own groceries and be your own cashier, and bagger.  One of those machines ya know.  And headed right to the bathroom to freshen up.  Wishing I had also bought a scrunchie for my hair, I see Josh waiting at the front of the store.  He smiles and says Hey pretty lady as we walk out to the van. 

We get to the highly hyped up surprise party and the parking lot is full of cars, trucks and oh don't for get the bikes.  Aww Man it's all out side and I am roasting.  We walk up to the pavilion and Josh is talking with his fellow painters and then guys who work for the same company and introducing me. Mean while I am looking around, like fish out of water, way over dressed.  We stayed for about two hours and for two drinks.  Did our pleasantries, wished the birthday boy happy over the hill, even the big boss owner of the company, came out to party with the common folk. Got to love Senior, he is humble.  Back in the van we are talking about our next move, joking about going to park some where and take advantage of the van but settle on either dinner or a movie.  This is where my ABP comes in handy and I call to find out movie times and theater locations.  And that DID impress Josh.

 Last month for our anv. my Mom sent me two $25 gift cards for a restaurant of our choice from Red Lobster, Olive Garden, some BBQ place and Bahamas Breeze.  We decided to go to Brahma Breeze because we never been there before and it was close to a movie theater.

 The place sure did stick to it's theme and had the personal in Hawaiian like shirts and Island music in the background. We got seated and our order for drinks taken.  I highly recommend:Bahamarita® Thier frozen margarita with Cuervo Gold and real kiwi, mango and strawberry ices.

Ever see that episode of Everybody Love Raymond where Raymond and Debra go out to dinner and they have nothing to talk about and just eat, and then Debra gets all upset that they don't ever have anything talk about with each other.  Well, that is kinda how our dinner went.  Josh shrugs and thinks I'm comical and says we talk all the time, that is why we don't have anything to say.  Well, that changes when the subject of me going back to work comes up (whole other entry) Dinner comes and this is what we had: 

Me

Calypso Shrimp Linguine With garlic, scallions and creole spices

Josh   

Fresh Ahi Tuna Salad * – Grilled rare with citrus dressed spring greens, red and yellow pear tomatoes, cucumber and peanut drizzle

And it all was very good.  We paid with our gift cards and left the rest that was the cards as a tip (healthy one about $8) I recommend this restaurant but it is not one of those quiet spots, it is very loud in there.

Then we are off to see a movie.  We was way too early for The Village but right on time for the Manchurian Candidate.  We really wanted to wait for that one to come on dvd because we say the org last week but figured oh well, take advance of the situation.

  Was an OK movie but both Josh and I agree, the org one from the 60's was much better.

Don't worry, thru out this whole little date I called home and checked in.  And we got home and the house still standing and all the kids was present and accounted for.  Our friends left and we put the kids to bed. 

The End..

2 comments:

  1. WOW sounds like  a neat resturant. But I do hate noisy ones. seeems like most are now days> I see these nice quiet romantic ones on tv. Where are those by the way. /???????  Ifyou go to Olive garden and you like drinks I strongly recommend the Leaning tower. ITS simply awsome. By the way I Love marguritas and my unlce this past 4th taughte me how tomake the best frozen margurita. Much cheaper at home!!!!!! but tastes wonderful. absolutly wonderful. yes I have to use jose cuervo. makes all the differience. NOw whats this about you going back to work???????? Lori. PS hows your mom doing???????

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky you guys got out!

    ReplyDelete