Sunday, August 15, 2004

Just some thoughts as I gaze up at the clouds...

"No one should ever be too busy or pressured or tired to make a time and place for God in their lives. After all, He has to manage the whole world, and He's never too busy for us." - Sadie and Bessie Delany

 

"The world takes its notions of God from the people who say that they belong to God's family. They read us a great deal more than they read the Bible. They see us; they only hear about Jesus Christ." - Alexander Maclaren

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was blessed to be able to go to church today.  Having no car since Josh is out of town with it, I figured I would miss it this week.  A friend from church called me Friday to remind me it was my turn to clean church and I was kinda up set cuz I forgot and also I was unable to full fill this commitment since I didn't have the transportation.  My friend said it was no big deal, they would do it for me and also give me and the kids a ride to church.  : )   Bob and Nancy are really some sweet ppl, almost so sweet it hurts lol.  They took us out to lunch after church and we enjoyed "breaking bread" with each other and fellowship.

The topic of the sermon today touched on Holiness and that we should be Holy for God is Holy.  It wasn't a beat you over the head and be good or go to hell sermon.  It was more like a history lesson and what Holiness is.  I am sure I was meant to hear it and I have to soak in what it all means.  I know I fall short in many ways and even been complacent about some areas in my life, so how can I be Holy?  How can anyone be Holy like God?  How can we be that perfect?  Basically what I got was what it means to be Holy is to be set apart, to be different, but in a good way, to be a peculiar people, to not conform to this world's standards but be transformed by God's.  Can I MAKE myself Holy?  No.  Only God can, for if I try, I will fail.  But he is working on me, changing me from Glory to Glory, authoring and perfecting my faith, he lives in me and fills me, giving me a new nature.  I just have to walk in that nature and not my old sinful one.  I confess I have not been walking by the spirit lately, not been in the Word, and my prayer life could use a face lift.  All things I can work on, God will do the rest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I also have been enjoying the comments on mylast post and glad everyone put their two cents in.  Yes, it is a touchy subject and something that contributes to dividing us as a country I think.  As I have said many times in previous posts, I don't look down or pass judgment on women who have had an abortion, but extend the hand of compassion and understanding, for I have been there. BUT, I do get kinda miffed with the mind set of this culture of death.  Choice, we all have choice, weather legal or illegal. "I would not personally kill a child weather it was five min. old or five years old, yet I don't have a problem with those who choose too, it is their choice and any law banning that choice is trying to legislate morality.  The only difference between a pre-born child and a born one is it's stage of development and location.  So what is the difference if we make it legal to kill one that is just later in development?"  That's just a little translation I hear in my head when ppl say, I would not personally get an abortion but I support other's women's right to choose one.  If it is soo wrong to kill a baby 2min. after it is born and toss it in the toilet, why should it be any different in seeing a pre-born one the same way?  Oh, ya that's right, it isn't human till it comes out of the womb??  Declassifying a person as non-human is how we got the Holocaust and Legalized Slavery.  Thought our society had evolved beyond that?  Sigh, guess I am wrong on that.

3 comments:

  1. Yes as Todd and I walked we noticed some beautiful clouds yesterday. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was a good entry.  and to comment on the last one, i am very close to a couple of ppl who have had abortions.  they are not proud of what they have done.  in fact it haunts them in ways i'm sure only they can understand.  but i too at one time did in fact consider an abortion.  wrong or right, i felt it was something i may needed done.  now as my two year old kisses me everyday and tells me how much she loves me,  i thank the Lord above that he lead me in the right direction.  after having madison, i look at abortion alot different then i used too.  i don't agree with it but i also feel for the women who do make this choice because i am sure that they hurt very deeply from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful entry. Great food for thought. I love gazing at the clouds. My favorite time of the day though is when God turns his night-lights on. They are always on of course. We just cant see them during the day. I know people who had abortions too. They regret what they did but cannot undo it. Can we ever? We will all, in the end, answer to God . I'm grateful HE is my judge, that I have to answer to Him for my words and deeds, and not another human being like myself.

    Hugs, **Barb**

    ReplyDelete