Monday, August 30, 2004

Sunday afternoon visit..

Sunday after Church we went over to Riley's for a visit and to bring him some lunch and to maybe lift his spirits.  Here is some previous posts about him if you need the back ground story. (((((LOVE YOU RILEY)))) 

Riley has just gone threw a surgery (cover eyes for you sensitive guys) He had a "very large growth" on one of his testicles and the docs ofcourse couldn't determine if it was cancers or not, so they just took the whole testicle. OUCH!! And being afraid of hospitals Riley decided to do it as an out patient thing!! MAN!  We are hoping that this has been the root of some of his major health problems for the last year.  So he has been home bound and I have been trying to be a good friend and lift his sprits everyday on the phone.  He said he would be up for a visit Sunday so my family headed over there after church.

It is weird to go back over to that neighborhood after not living there for 2 yrs. As they say you can never go back home.  When we lived there I was perfectly happy to be there and thought nothing too bad about the neighborhood.  I was really resistant when God had lead us over to where we live now, almost 35 min away on the hwy. and a much different kind of "hood".  I can now see what a step up our move was and how much of a blessing it was.  I don't want to sound like one of those ppl so I will stop and get on with my story. 

We had a really good visit with him. It was a tad uncomfortable for me, seeing him in pain and knowing he would have a fit if I tried to mother him or care for his physical needs. Pride is something this man has, too much sometimes.  And ofcourse since he is old enough to be my father he won't always listen to me lol but we like to verbally smack each other around (playfully).  The kids did good too.  Normally they will run and jump on him without a care, they love him so much. But they followed my warning that he had a big boo boo and it would hurt him if they did that.  Annie never left his side and she so wanted to hug on him.  We had

for lunch. mmm Hawaiian BBQ... (my brother used to work there when he lived with us and it is like the only one close by, we need one here in O'Fallon badly)

Riley's wife/room mate was home.  It is always kinda strange when she is.  I am trying to find a way to get her to open up and to relate with her.  They are married but not.. I know I am confused too.  They got married when they was very young and had one daughter together.  When Riley started loosing his sight he went out to CO. for the school they have to train blind ppl.  While he was gone, I take it was a very long stay, Joy's twin sister died and she took it HARD.  She had separated from Riley and moved in with her sister's husband, and drama, had an affair.  This ofcourse confused and broke Riley badly.  They spent years apart but never had money for a divorce.  It is just in the last few years they moved back in with each other out of convenience to share expanses.  They pretty much lead separate lives, separate rooms and all that.  She has always been polite but off standoffish.  But today was great.  I think I got in the door a little with her.

The noisy butt that I am I was looking at the framed pics in her hutch and noticed a veryy old one of Riley.  I asked her about it and we laughed.  She told me there was more in a photo album and she went up to her room and let me thumb threw it.  I made her sit next to me so she could tell me about each picture.  That is something Riley can not do.  I could see the memories wash over in her face as she would light up about one or another or she would get a sad look talking about this or that one.  What a cool way to get to know someone better!  And the pics of Riley was way too funny.  I can kinda see why he is such a flirt now and also maybe half believe some of his crazy stories.  I told Joy with in ear shot of Riley that I could see why he married her and also why she grabbed him up right away lol.  I also said quietly so he could only get the gist of it that she HAD to let me borrow these when his birthday comes around so I can make one of those Window Media Movies to show to every one at church. LOL Yes.. I am a PIC freak!

Please keep both Riley and Joy in prayer.  And me also.

2 comments:

  1. I love these pics too> I dont knnow how anyone can not like you. you were a smart girl workign your way in with her like that. She may just feel people judge her cuase they lvoe riley and what she did to him. He sounds like a great person. Sure hope he gets well soon. Yes the surgery does not sound comfy at all. I understand waht you mean about old neighborhoods. I go to where i Lived when Tracy was small and now I think HOW did  I live there iwth so little fear. Well I had it but should have been mroe. Somehow our minds protect us I think. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I hope your friend feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete