Tuesday, August 3, 2004

What we do for our kids and my inpending Job search

As you know we have opted not to be apart of Girl Scouts this year but I promised Annie we would find something even better for her to join.  We received the info on  in the mail from the church they went to over the summer for VBS.  It has been sitting around for a week or so before I actually read it.  Good meeting time, Thursday evenings at 6:30, and they have age group for each of my kids, meaning Lilly and Sophia can also go.  They was heart broken when they found out they were not old enough to join Scouts too when Annie started.  It is $70 for all four kids to go for all year, plus 7-10 dollars for each uniform.  Upon reading even closer I saw that there may be a waiting list for the Cubbie age group, the one for the little girls and to call to get on the list.  So I did that today.  I am such a sucker you know.  She didn't even have to try that hard to get me to volunteer to be apart of the group leaders, I pretty much offered it.  Why? Why would I do this again after the G. S. fiasco??? Cuz you know it, leader's kids are first on the list and the list fills up fast!!  So soon I will be getting in the mail the info on that and all the proper forms to fill out for a background check.  If you want more info on what AWANA is and if there is a group in your area check out the website! And as I am talking with the lady on the phone Josh chimes in with a reminder that I said I would help HIM with the CubScouts. LOL And it all starts...

 

Back to our date and the talk we had at dinner.

Now to fully comprehend you have to read the back ground on it and my emotional entry back in April.. I will wait, and feel free to comment on that entry if you didn't before... 

OK Your back and you can see that I agreed to look for a job, under protest, but I still agreed. I had talked him into letting me wait till the fall, when the kids are back in school and it would be easier for Amy to agree to watching Lilly and Sophia.  Amy is very busy in the summer with all the sports stuff her family is in.  Well, as you can tell, school is about to start back up and I have not forgotten my vow to go back to work.  So I have started thinking about how to redo my resume andwhat kind of job I want and can get.  Josh had pointed out a factory that was hiring, paying good money, I shrugged it off, kinda annoyed that he was wanting to do this search for me.  Then I over heard him on the phone with someone or another talking about stuff and junk and my ears perk up when he says how I will probably be working over the next YEAR.  (WHAT???) And this is what we talked about at dinner when there was nothing to talk about.

"What was that I heard you saying, you think I am going to be working for a year?? THAT IS NOT WHAT I AGREED TO.  I thought it was for the winter, so we wouldn't go threw what we did last winter and get caught up."

"Well, if you do work for a year we can do all that plus start to save for a down payment for a house."

"Ya but.. I thought we didn't want us both to work so we can just accumulate stuff?" ( Josh just got a raise in pay and next year he will be a Journeymen, they make the big bucks)

"It isn't just for STUFF!  We have a lot of bills, doctor bills, car bills, credit card bills that we have never paid off... and bla bla bla.. our Credit is SHOT"

gurr (he may have a point here, don't mean I have to like it)

"What are we going to do in the summers then?!  You know Amy can't be our sitter in the summer.?"

"Good point, we will see how it goes when we get there"

So I was telling him about how I was thinking about where to work and that I was going to check into the place where our friend Tracy works and also that U-Haul had a sign out saying it was hiring.  All office type jobs.  And he gets kinda flustered because I wasn't considering that factory job and saying I am trying to shoot myself in the foot by finding a low paying job.  Where those places may pay me to start at 7-10 dollars, the factory is garnered higher.  Well, to be honesty with you dear, I DON'T WANT A FACTORY JOB! Sure it will pay more, maybe, but I will be miserable when I can do so much more than that.  I don't think I am above factory work, but um, ya I kinda am.  They pay you more cuz they know they suck and that is the only way to keep ppl.  At least by finding an office job I will be using the skills I use everyday, answering phones (have you heard my pleasant voice lol at least that is what ppl tell me) data entry on the computer, Web savvy and I know how to use many Word programs, with the exception to Excel (darn knew I should of took that class this summer) And then maybe I can start to build up a resume and get higher paying jobs and places that will pay for me to go to school to update my skills.  I wont get that in a factory.  If I am going to do this I might as well do it at a place I will enjoy being at.  So he agreed to let me find what I can and not argue about it and we will see how it all works out in the end.

OK so technically I should be out NOW looking for one, putting in those applications and resume but I have one thing going agenst me...  Knowing that I have smoked pot in the last 4 weeks.. uhm.. If I do find a job that tests I will probably flunk it.  Sooooooo I am going to wait till the end of Aug. And then hit the pavement running.  If you missed that entry about my token it up, I will just say, I don't do it often, it was a back sliding thing, and I wont be doing it again anytime soon.  See kid-os there are consequences for doing things you know is wrong and even if you don't think it will hurt anything.

 

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. Mary:
    getting the kids in Awana is a  great thing.  Go for the job of your choice. Trust I have worked to many years as a flunky on a job that I hate. Don't do it. It won't be worth it. Find something you like. OH you will be lighting up a toke more than ever. (Mine Paxil for depression when I hate a job.) GWeyant@aol.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. part one read this first
    We use to have awanas at our place. We got all  kinds of awasrds the work books were fun for the kids and the adults had to learn the stuff too>
    About work. Hubby was making $30,000 ayear we had four kids back then. that pay didnot increase till around 1999 now hemakes almost double that. But we have survived off one income and paid off boo coo of debts. Lots thousands oflawyers fees and other things and 30,000 in credit card debt. I have stayed home been blessed to be home with my kids. Hubby still does not want me to work even after Rachael is done with school in may. She graduates. Well let me just say I have been blessed. We are debt free except for our house payment and you know monthly bills elect phone water that stuff. Well It took us years and I called credit companies andmade deals and have done what I could. You know it has not been easy. We started doing this 12 years ago. It takes patience and doing with out and mostly what GOd say. BE CONTENT WITH WHAT SO EVER YOU HAVE> That was the hard part. watching everyone else have !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. part two read this after part one

    Hubby will be able to retire in his early 50's if he needs to cuase this house will be paid for in tenyears. Tottaly paid for and if I haddone a better job i t would be paid for in less. BUT you know waht if he doesnt retire he can atlesat slow way down and get a job here in town. I would love that him not driving a hour to work and an hour home. The good pay isnot in thiis town that is for sure. I need to think about him and us as we are 42 and 43 now and do realize that people start to slow down in thier 50's and things can happen. I have advised mykids though you have ot pay more when you get ahouse do not get a 30 year loan go forno more than 20. You reallly dont pay more in the long run. So just a little sgugestion to help get a house. AND by the way you dont need a big payment to get a house. FmHA lets you in owning your ownhome for 1st months houes pay, 1st eyars insurance and a small attorneys fee of $300. Your house payment is based on your income and that is based on children too. You house payment can be as little as $123 month or as high as they can be if you make good money hope this little suggestion helps ALSO there is KY houseing here its got a nother name in other states. HTey only want 2% down for a deposit. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids were in Awanas. They loved it! Have a great day. God bless, Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mary, thanks for the input on my journal. Im looking for a new job - because this one I have will be done in March. They dont need me anymore....sniff :-) I think you should try for an office job as well. This one I applied for and am contemplating. Is just about $15/hour.
    God Bless ya my dear!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was part of the Awana program for years!  I started when I was young, then became a leader when I was older!  Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed (AWANA)!!!!!!!!!

    Tracy
    http://journals.aol.com/sasonalmah/ARoseByAnyOtherName/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your conviction to pull from the Girl Scouts, and your honesty about smoking pot.  Though I missed your entry somehow on when you did it, I have to admit I was surprised.  You are so honest, and that is awesome, I pray that you find strength in yourself to stand up to old evils in your life, and that if it is God's will, you will find the perfect job that God has picked out just for you!  Chin up!

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my first time reading your blog.  I guess we'll be pondering our 'getting a job' adventure together.  Great journal!  I'm going to keep reading!

    ~Jaime

    ReplyDelete